Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.75800°N / 121.742°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6006 ft / 1831 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Denman Peak

Denman Peak is located in the Tatoosh range along the southern boundary of Mt. Rainier National Park in Washington State. Another prominent, if lesser, peak in the Tatoosh Traverse, Denman, lies just northwest of Plummer Peak, and just east of Lane Peak. Denman is an easy scramble and has great views of the surrounding peaks and Mt. Rainier across the valley to the north. This peak is a slight notch harder than Plummer (e.g. off-trail) and likely receives fewer visitors. The easiest approach is via the Pinnacle Peak trail and following a user path across the north shoulder of Plummer.

Denman Peak could easily be combined with climbing Pinnacle Peak, Plummer, or other peaks along the Traverse for a full day outing.

Getting There


From the Nisqually (southwest) entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park, follow Hwy 706 past Longmire towards Paradise, turning off for Ohnapecosh. Continue on a short distance to a roadside parking area at the Reflection Lakes. On the opposite side of the road is the Pinnacle Peak trailhead.

Red Tape


A fee must be paid on entering Mt. Rainier National Park.

When To Climb


Denman is probably best in late-spring/summer/fall -- although it can probably be climbed all year 'round. Access in winter may be trickier -- the road is generally plowed up to Paradise, but the section down to the Reflection Lakes may be closed - requiring a much longer snow approach likely requiring snowshoes.

Camping


There is camping permitted within the park. The closest car-campground is at Cougar Rock between Longmire and Paradise. A back-country permit (available at the Wilderness Information Center in Longmire) is required for camping up on/near Denman.

Mountain Conditions


Mt. Rainier Trail Conditions
This site posts the current trail conditions for the Mt. Rainier area -- the status of the Pinnacle Peak trail can give you a good idea of what to expect en route.

Paradise WebCam
Mt. Rainier Paradise webcam; this can give you a good idea of conditions in the area.

Mt. Rainier Recreational Forecast



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.