Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.96509°N / 5.09783°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6213 ft / 1894 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of my favourite mountains, the Llerenes sets its two main peaks opposite one of the biggest mountains in the area of Riaño´s Mountain (Montaña de Riaño), the Peñas Pintas.

In fact, the trio Llerenes-Pintas-Collado Rebequeras (col just in the middle) is visible from most of the peaks and high points of the province of León.

As the rest of the peak I talk about you can decide the grade of difficulty, but in this case this is specially a fact: you have two different summits to climb, oriental and occidental one. The tallest one it´s the West one, but only 5-10 metres more or less
Even if you have enough skills and technique you can try cross from one of then to the other. Or walk along the ellegant redge looking down the impresive North face. It´s up to you. You can study the mountain opposite Llerenes, the huge Peñas Pintas. You can climbed it as well though the face you have in front of you if you are good enough... (the easiest route for this other peak starts in Las Salas and take part in its South face).

Llereres West face seen not...Llereres West face seen not far from the Collado Rebequeras






Getting There

You should go to Salamón, on the foot of the mountain. You can go to Las Salas too. It should be a way to get the col from the East (I saw people coming from there once) but I don´t know the way. You probably go around Las Pintas (a long distance).

Coming to Salamon it´s the best idea. I´ll decribe some car route to get there, public transport could be really complicated.

a) From León:

- N-601 to Mansilla de las Mulas, in the crossroad, left to N-625.

- N-630 to La Robla, turning right to C-626 to Boñar. There take the road to Sabero. You´ll get the crossroad with N-625. Turn left to the North.

Using both options you can go towards Riaño. In Las Salas there is a narrow road on your left hand. It will take you to Salamón, a lovely village. If you have time you can visit the rest of the villages arround. They are pretty, specially Lois.

b) From Asturias:

You have four mountain-passes to cross the mountains driving. From West to East:

- Puerto de Pajares N-630: go to La Robla and then the same as I described for coming from León.

- Puerto de San Isidro LE-333: go to Boñar and just the same.

- Puerto de Tarna C-635: go to the crossroad with N-625, turn right towards Riaño, and there go to Las Salas.

- Puerto del Pontón N-625: just go to Riaño and then to Las Salas. Note, this is the most conjunction of curves I´ve ever seen.

c) From Santander:

-Puerto de San Glorio N-621: go to Riaño and the to Las Salas.

d) From Palencia:

The best idea is driving on C-626 to LE-232 on your left. Go to Puente Almuhey and take a local road to C-611, when you reach this road turn right to Cistierna. You´ll get N-621, turn right and go to Las Salas.


Red Tape

Nothing special required, just the same the rest of the province of León.

When To Climb

It´s possible to climb the Llerenes all the year, but the conditions in winter could be extreme: bad weather, strong winds and low temperatures.
During the winter the journey will be definetly harder, although in summer time the temperature could get more than 35º sometimes.

Because of that, maybe the best idea it´s going there on spring or autumn.


Camping

Like the rest of the province of León, to camp without permission is forbbiden.
There are lots of possibilities of accomodation in the area, and there is a youth hostel ("albergue" in Spanish) in Riaño. In Salamon, Lois and Riaño you have "casas rurales" (accomodation in traditional houses), and in Riaño you have Hotels too.
If I´m not wrong, the nearest private camp site (we used to call that "camping" in Spanish) is Boca de Huérgano one.

You probably can spend a night in the little refuge near the col, but you should take your own wood to set a fire and leave clean and tidy.

Mountain Conditions

A pole can be usefull for the aproaching, ice-axes and crampons necesary with ice and snow, and snow shoes a good idea with very soft snow to get the col.

Ropes could be necesary if you are thinking to climb though the walls... you can make up your own route if you are good climbing rock walls. I´m sure you´ll enjoy the peak!

I´ll add some lines from Yordas peak, not far from Llerenes peak:
Riaño area is one of the coldest places in the North of Spain. You can find some metres of snow in many occasions.
Snow can be hard and frozen if the temperature is cold, normally during the first hours of the morning.

In summer the weather is cooler than the rest of the province but the temperature can easyly reach 35º.

You have consider the sea is not far from these mountains. This is dramatically true in Picos de Europa. This means storms can start suddenly, because of the wet coming from the sea that reach this cold area quickly.
Raincoat is allways a good idea.

Fog and rain is not unusual in spring and fall.


My Suggestions

* Visit Lois, and its lovely church, made with pink stone. This church is also called "La Catedral de la Montaña", Mountain´s Cathedral. Also, visit the rest of the small villages around: Salamón, Valbuena de Roblo and Ciguera... the villages are nice and people really kind.

* Go to Riaño. It´s the most important village in the area. Have a look at the old church taken from the "Old Riaño" that was destroy to construct the reservoir. Sometimes, early in the morning when you cross the long brigde over the reservoir the fog is on the water... it´s fascinating.

* Drive your car... all the roads on the North takes you to incredible places... with incredible mountains.

Picos de Europa it´s not far. Take N-625.... then LE-224 crossing Panderrueda pass to go to Valdeón Valley (between Central and West Picos de Europa) or go allong the same road crossing Puerto del Pontón pass to go to the Sajambre Valley, (West Picos de Europa), by the way, in Oseja de Sajambre, the main village there, ask for cider.

Also you can take N-621 near Riaño and take then LE-243 crossing Pandetrave pass to go to Valdeón Valley.
N-621 takes you to Cantabria crossing San Glorio pass. It lets you go to East Picos de Europa. This road crosses Tierra de la Reina, beautifull territory with remarkable peaks as Peña Prieta, Coriscao, Espigüete and many others.

If you choose C-635 you´ll find out really speciall mountains on your right and left. Macizo de Mampodre near Maraña village it´s specially interesting. But opposite this mountains you can see Peña Ten and Pileñes, pretty mountains.

* Going to the South I strongly recomend the village called Ocejo de la Peña, simply amazing. The time stoped there! Not far from there you have Pico Moro, Peña Rionda and Pico Cerroso. There is a path to go to the foot of these peaks.

VERY IMPORTANT:

** Take a MOBILE PHONE with you. You can use it most of the mountain areas. If you can phone try going up or changing your position. I can remember my moibile ringing on the summit of Torre de Friero... I couldn´t believe it! Mobile is the best thing to make an emergency call. Forget about radios.
Take note of this number: 987 718 004. It´s the number of G.R.E.I.M., Guardia Civil Mountain Rescue Team. They are really good proffessionals with lots of years of experience. If you have serious problems phone them: tell them who you are, how many people is in difficulties, try to tell them where you are, or at least a detailed description of the area.


Special info

The meaning in English of some Spanish words.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Collado, collada: col, for instance "Collado de Gete"

* Pico: peak, for instance "Pico Fontún"

* Peña: peak (very tipical from León, Asturias, Santander), for instance "Peña Ten"

* Torre: peak (very tipical from León, Asturias, Santander), for instance "Torre del Friero"

* Cueto: peak, for instance "Cueto Millaró"

* Puerto: mountain pass, for instance "Puerto de Pajares"

* Cordillera: big group of mountains, for instance "Cordillera Cantábrica"

* Macizo: group of some mountains or peaks, for instance "Macizo Central, Urrieles of Picos de Europa"

* Cumbre: summit

* Cima: summit

* Canal: corridor, for intance "La Canal de Dobresengos", note it´s in femenine

* Canaleta: narrow corridor

* Hoces: cannon made by a river, for instance "Hoces de Vegacervera", "Hoces de Valdejeja"

* Valle: valley, for intance "Valle de Valdeón"

* Río: river, for instance "Río Torío"

* Horcado: narrow col between two peak, normally difficult to cross, for intance "Horcado de Pambuches"


Books I recomend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montañas de León (in Spanish only)

Ramón Lozano, Santiago Morán
Everest Editorial
ISBN 84-241-0404-8

Description in detail of more than one hundred routes across the mountain of the León province, including the Picos de Europa Area and many others.

Book details (English) | Book details (Spanish)


50 montañas de la Cordillera Cantábrica (in Spanish only)

David Atela
Desnivel Ediciones
ISBN 84-96192-90-3

Really useful book about the most remarkable mountains in Cordillera Cantábrica massif. It doesn´t containt anything about Picos de Europa area so it lets it go along another interesnting and no so famous mountains.

Book details (Spanish)



Another remarkable peaks in the area

* Yordas - 1963 m
* Las Pintas, Peñas Pintas - 1998 m
* Gilbo
* Jaido
* Cueto Cabrón
* Cueto Nebloso
* Las Piñeras
* Pico La Collada

Special thanks

I´d like to thank my good friend Luis de la Torre, a real mountain man, who showed me this and many other mountains and pretty places, and took care of me several times.

Regards to those who came with me to this place.

The Spanish corner :-)

Info in Spanish for Spanish Speakers & Spanish Studients:

Para todos aquellos que no tengan un inglés súper, y yo me incluyo, he decidido añadir esta sección. También para todos aquellos que estudian o están aprendiendo español.

Realmente creo que nadie quedaría defraudado con la experiencia de subir este pico (o picos). Estoy seguro de que no. Ni creo que a nadie que disfrute de la montaña le causará indiferencia. Este lugar tiene algo de espiritual difícil de describir.

Personalmente, el Collado Rebequeras, a los pies del Llerenes, es posiblemente mi lugar favorito... o al menos ninguno me resulta más hermoso.
Para los más expertos, y también para los novatos más esforzados. Así es el Llerenes.

Para una información más detallada os remito al texto en inglés. Si tuviéseis algún problema estoy a vuestra disposición para facilitaros toda la información que esté a mi alcance.

External Links

  • Cristino Torio´s web site>Cristino Torio´s web site
    Web about León Mountain by one of the most well known climber in the León province (Available only in Spanish)
  • Web Site about Picos de Europa and the North mountains
    Information, photographies a lots of things about Picos de Europa, the tallest montains along Cordillera Cantabrica and the North of Spain. It counts with a valuable informations by the hand of the people on the forum, most of them experts in these mountains. I´m sure they can answer your question even in English, French or German (Available only in Spanish)
  • Castilla y León Tourism Official Web Site
    You can find here many information about this region, as camp sites, accomodations, monuments, culture, nature, it could be a valuable tool to plan your holidays and trip along the mountains of this region. (Avalaible in many languages)


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.