Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11190°N / 114.6267°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11263 ft / 3433 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


All of the major White Cloud peaks are in the Northern part of the range. White Cloud Peak 9 (WCP-9) is one of 14 peaks in the range over 10,000 ft. The White Clouds take their name from the large deposits of white limestone in the northwest portion of the range. WCP-9 is one of the key peaks in the range that shows why this range was given its name. This part of the range is one of those areas of hidden beauty. Most of the peaks do not have summit registers and we didn't see a single person on our trip, so a great place to get into true idaho wilderness. The easiest route on this peak is class 2, so a reasonable climb for anyone in good shape.
It lies on the ridgeline between Caulkens peak and D.O Lee Peak.

There are 4 known routes :
- Cirque Lake/South Ridge (Class 2)
- West Buttress (Class 3)
- East Ridge (class 2)
- North Ridge (class 3)



Getting There


These Directions are for the West Butress and North Ridge routes:
From Stanley Idaho drive east on 75 towards Challis for about 20 miles. You will have the salmon river on your right right up to the turn off. You will cross the river and you will turn right onto Slate Creek road. It is signed, but the brige is a better indicator. Follow slate creek road for 8 miles to the trailhead. The road was accessible by car when we went (July), but have heard that at certain times of the year it can be rough (likely earlier in the summer or spring).

Red Tape


no trailhead fees, no summit fees

When To Climb


July and August are the best months to climb. Road access in spring/early summer depends on snow melt.

Camping


West Butress and North Ridge routes:
Camping at the slate creek trailhead is permitted, although flat space is sparce. Your best bet is to hike in the 4.25 miles to OCaulkens lake and set up a basecamp. It is beautiful in there.

Mountain Conditions


Standard cautions - watch for slides early in the season, and watch for T-storms in the summer..

Current Conditions Page on the National Forest Web Site

Sawtooth National Forest

2647 Kimberly Rd. E.

Twin Falls, ID. 83301

(208) 737-3200

This message board is a good location for finding out information on the status of Idaho peaks.

Views from the Summit



Miscellaneous Info


* Hoodoo Hotsprings is located at the Slate Creek Trailhead, about 600 feet up the trail, on the left down in the creek. It is a wooden tub hotspring. Refreshing at the end of the trip, but watch out for ornery redneck locals

* Hoodoo mine is an old gold mine that you will pass after the hotspring before you get onto the main trail to OCaulkens Lake. Couldn't find many details about this place in a search.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.