Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.80140°N / 116.66348°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10160 ft / 3097 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nestled in the San Jacinto Wilderness, one of the Ten-Thousand foot peaks that are in the here, Drury peak may not be the most popular peak to hit among the beautiful range, but the hike and scramble up are more that worth the extra effort. I was surprised to even find a older than most summit journal, and inside it was many signatures dating back to the late 1970's. The view from the top overlooks much of the valley and glimpses of San Gorgonio across the Cabazon Pass. It is a HPS peak in the Sierra Club and sees roughly 20 ascents a year.

Drury Peak is named after Newton Drury, who led the fight in the 1940's and 1950's to prevent development in the San Jacinto Wilderness, including ski facilities, and on and around Mt. San Jacinto itself! Except for the Palm Springs Tram his efforts were successful. The San Jacinto Wilderness and all beauty exists today due to the efforts of Newton Drury according to many older Sierra Club members.

Getting There

Southern California US Interstate 10-For the Merion Mountain Trailhead, take the 10 East to Banning, and take Highway 243 from Banning up the mountain en route to Idlywild. Stop at the Alandale Ranger station for a permit, which is required to enter the wilderness.

Hemet HWY 74- East to the HWY 243 junction in Mountain Center. Turn left at "Y" in road and continue on HWY 243 to Idyllwild.




A $5 dollar day parking pass is needed or a Adventure pass will work. The first left after the station is the road to the trail head. Follow the signs which are posted.


Approach

Drury Peak can be approached by several trails from the Idylwild area, and the Palm Springs Aerial Tram.

From Idylwild, there are several variations and loops you can accomplish with 2 cars, or even with one in some cases!

Marion Mountain Trail-Route Page

Seven Pines Trail
- 3.8 miles up to the Marion/Deer Springs trail crossing, and continuing NE on trail 1.1 miles near the summit, scramble up.

Deer Springs Trail
- From Idylwild County Park go 6.4 up trail to the Marion/Seven Pines trail crossing, take trail NE toward Little Round Valley 1.1 miles near Drury, scramble up to summit.Route Page

Fuller Ridge/Pacific Crest Trail
- Route Page

Devil's Slide Trail- From Humber Park. Route Page

From the Tram and Long Valley, Drury is just under 8.8 miles, and about a extra hour of hiking than its big brother, San Jacinto.

Red Tape

Permits are required and may be picked up at any of the Ranger stations on the mountain. The parking pass or adventure pass must be placed in car. For road and trail conditions, please call the San Bernardino National forest office at (909) 382-2600 or online at www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino.

San Jacinto Ranger District
54270 Pinecrest Drive
P.O. Box 518
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Voice: (909) 382-2921

When To Climb

Drury peak can be climbed all year. Snowfall in this range during winter can change the look, the temperatures and the adventure along with difficulty. Call the hotline for Marion Mountain trail conditions.


http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ is a great place to check the weather.

Camping

Camping is allowed at the Trailhead, at the Marion Mountain Campground and the fern basin camp ground, just before the trailhead. Follow the signs up the road. No huts, and for camping fees please call the San Bernardino National forest office at (909) 382-2600 or online at www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino.

Mountain Conditions

For road and trail conditions, please call the San Bernardino National forest office at (909) 382-2600 or online at www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino.

External Links



Topo Link:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=33.80823&lon=-116.68574&size=l&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Aug 17, 2005 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Actually winter is a fine time to climb Drury. The tram runs year round, and skiing or snowshoeing to Drury is not much more effort than going to San Jacinto.

Deb

Deb - Jan 26, 2007 4:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Topo

Plz insert topo for these coordinates 33.8082N -116.6857W.

Blair

Blair - Jan 27, 2007 8:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Topo

Topo link added!

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Oct 27, 2008 12:14 am - Voted 10/10

Route info

the route you linked from Humber Park is my route for Tahquitz Peak. The route you want is "via Humber Park (devil's slide)".

Blair

Blair - Oct 27, 2008 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route info

Thanks Alex. Fixed it

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jun 24, 2011 11:29 am - Hasn't voted

Coordinates

Your coordinates show that this peak is on the east side of Jean Peak while the peak is actually located on the west side of Jean. Please try these numbers instead. I think you will find that they are quite exact. 33.808272, -116.6865

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.