Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.62890°N / 122.0119°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5953 ft / 1814 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Not to be confused with Mt. Bachelor, Bachelor Mountain lies about 11 miles WSW of Mt. Jefferson further to the north in the Oregon Cascades. It sits in the Willamette National Forest directly east of Coffin Mountain and can be combined with that peak to make a nice workout. While Coffin Mountain has an overgrown trail to the summit, Bachelor Mountain has a nicely-groomed trail you don't have to fight through weeds on. Views of Jefferson are almost unrivaled on this side of the Cascades and in fact, there is a great angle looking SW down the line of Cascade volcanoes to Broken Top. To the north you can see Adams.

The trail is a bit under 2 miles and has only about 1100 feet of elevation gain so it is a quick hike. Bachelor Mountain also makes #46 on the list of prominence in Oregon. One of the highlights of this peak come about halfway into the hike in a flat area where a ridge comes up from the south. The area is marked by smaller trees and old grey snags from the Buck Mountain Burn in the 70's. Buck Mountain is the bare peak you drive around to get to this one. Views of Jefferson are very unique through the small green trees and snags. It's just one of many things to see on this pleasant hike to almost 6000 feet.

Getting There

From Portland, take I-5 south to Salem where you will pick up Highway 22 east at exit 253. Take this east for almost 69 miles. Just before mile marker 69, turn right onto Straight Creek Road (paved). Take this just over 4 miles to a fork where there is supposed to be a sign for the Coffin Mountain Trailhead but I did not see it. It is Road 1168 and there is a sign designating it as such. Take this right fork and go 3.8 miles to an unmarked road on the left. That is the Coffin Mountain Trailhead, ignore it unless you are doing that one first. Continue on through a gate for .6 miles to a "T" in the road. Turn left here onto Road 430 and go about half amile to it's end at the unmarked trailhead for Bachelor Mountain.

If you are coming from the east (Bend), take Highway 20 to the Highway 20/22 junction where you will go right and continue on Highway 22 to the same point, except coming from this direction, Straight Creek Road would be just "after" milepost 69. Continue as above.

From the Eugene area, you would take Highway 126 east to Highway 20. Turn right onto Highway 20 and go to the Santiam junction where it meets Highway 22. Turn left onto 22 and go to the same road just after milepost 69. Then, continue as above.

Red Tape

No fees or permit required. Be thankful because it probably is coming soon....................

When To Climb

Trailhead is at 4840 feet so the snow level is the determining factor in doing this one. It's an easy hike (or snowshoe early in the season) but normally mid-June through October will work to get to the trailhead.

Camping

There are no signs on this one like Coffin Mountain indicating it is day use only. There are excellent campsites about halfway up the trail in an area where there are snags from the Buck Mountain Burn in a flat area with amazing views. There are also sites near the summit that would work for camping.

Mountain Conditions

Detroit Ranger District
503-854-3366
Current Conditions Link

Detroit Weather provided by Weather Underground



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.