Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.00840°N / 74.3469°W
Additional Information County: Ulster
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3780 ft / 1152 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wittenberg peak is located in the Southern Catskils in the Slide Mt. Wilderness Area and is part of the Burroughs Range. Is located 7 miles south of the villege of Phoenicia, NY. Wittenberg is the 14th. highest peak in the 700,000 acre Catskill Forest Perserve and is within 5 miles of the Catskills highest peak, Slide Mt. The Long Path, New York and New Jersey's version of the Long Trail passes over the summit of Wittenberg. The Long path Starts in Ft. Lee, NJ and ends near John Boyd Thacher State Park which is close to Albany and is 345 miles long.

Getting There

These direction are for the Woodland Valley Trailhead

From Thruway Exit 19, Kingston - first right from traffic circle after leaving the exit, on to Route 28 West. Proceed 20-25 miles to the village of Phoenicia, which will be on your right. Proceed on Rte. 28. Cross the bridge, take the next left at the sign and then take the first right onto Woodland Valley Road. The parking lot is approximately 6 miles at the end of the road. A fee is charfed to park when the campground is open. ($4.00 USD)

Red Tape

There are no permits needed to climb.
No camping above 3,500 ft. March 21 to December 21
No open fires above 3,500 ft. year round.
There is a parking fee at Woodland Valley State Camp Ground when it is open.

When To Climb

This mountain can be climbed all year. In winter snowshoes/ crampons and rope are required.

Camping

You can camp at Woodland Valley State Camp Ground
There are aproved campsite in the col between Slide Mt and Cornell, also there is a lean to 2.2 mils from the summit on Terrace Mt.

Mountain Conditions

Weather for Phoenicia, NY


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.