Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.48300°N / 106.433°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13203 ft / 4024 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bennett Peak is located in Colorado’s San Juan Mountains, and is the highest point in Rio Grande County. Bennett Peak is located in the Rio Grande National Forest, and rises almost a vertical mile above the scenic San Luis Valley. It's gentle summit dome contrasts sharply with some of the more rugged peaks in the San Juans. An ascent of Bennett Peak is a simple affair, which involves nothing more than walking up its grassy slopes on a primitive road. It doesn’t present much of a challenge, but still makes for a worthy objective.


Getting There

There are at least two different ways to reach the trailhead, but this one is the shortest route from any paved road. From Monte Vista, drive south on Colorado 15 for about 12 miles to Forest Road 250. Turn right, and start driving west. After about ten miles, the road will reach the Terrace Reservoir. After three more miles, you will reach the Alamosa Campground. After about six more miles, you will reach Jasper. Drive about a half-mile past Jasper until you reach the marked Forest Road 280 that heads for Blowout Pass. The road up to the pass is rough. If you can’t drive it, you’ll have to walk it. The turnoff to Forest Road 280 is at 9,160’, and Blowout Pass is almost 11,800’ high.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Conejos Peak Ranger District at 719-274-8971 for the latest conditions.

Forest Service Map: Rio Grande National Forest.
Topo Map: Jasper.

Camping

There are several Forest Service campgrounds located in this part of the Rio Grande National Forest. Blowout Pass would also make a good camping spot.

Mountain Conditions

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks