Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 26.9°S / 152.88522°E
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 1824 ft / 556 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Note: The Beerwah North Face Summit Track Route or "Hikers' Route" (The easiest and most popular access route) is now open again after being previously closed due to rockfall.

Like it’s lesser neighbour, Tibrogargan, eight kilometres to the east, Beerwah is a remnant volcanic plug of a volcano which was once approximately triple it's present height. It is composed mainly of trachyte.

Beerwah is the highest and westernmost of the Glasshouse Mountains group and is, according to the aboriginal dreamtime legend, the pregnant mother of the other mountains in the group. Tibrogargan is the father, Coonowrin, situated midway between Beerwah and Tibrogargan is the oldest and disgraced son, with the other lesser hills in the group making up the rest of the family. Like many dreamtime stories, the tale is a combination of moral instruction and a navigation tool.

Beerwah’s 500m south face reputedly includes the second longest (350m approx) continuous slab climb in Australia with Mt Warning (1156m summit) 200km to the south across the border in New South Wales holding the record of 580m (The Lost Boys Route).

Mt Beerwah offers a good variety of climbing experiences from the relatively easy scramble known as the “Hiker’s Route” to A4 bolted routes up in the overhanging “Organ Pipe” section of the north face. Although the Hiker’s Route is quite popular, with usually a couple of dozen summiters on any weekend day or holiday, any attempt at routes elsewhere on the mountain commonly result in you having an entire face to yourself, despite the easy access to the mountain.

The "Hiker's Route" is approximately 3 hours return from the car park

Getting There

Nearest International Airport : Brisbane 66km
Nearest Domestic Airports : Brisbane 66km, Maroochydore 60km

The Glasshouse Mountain group is located in south east Queensland, just 66km north of Brisbane. From Brisbane, frequent electric train services, shuttle and bus services operate from the city and airport . The nearest railway station to Mt Beerwah is Glasshouse Mountains (about 10km). To drive, take the Gateway Motorway north from the airport or the Gympie Arterial Road from the city. These roads converge to form the Bruce Highway (Hwy 1). Take the Beerburrum/Glasshouse Mtns Tourist Route exit. Follow this road for about 10km then turn left into Glasshouse Mountains township. Turn left again, and cross the railway bridge before taking another left turn into Coonowrin Road. Continue west for approx 4 km to a T intersection, then left again into Old Gympie Road, after 400m take the next right which is signposted “Beerwah National Park” to the car park on the north side of the mountain.

Red Tape

No permits are required and no fees are payable

Take heed of fire danger warnings.

Climbing in the overhangs of the "Organ Pipes" area of the North Face is currently prohibited due to the danger of dislodging stones on to the popular Hiker's Route/Summit Track which passes directly underneath.

When To Climb

Climbing is available all year round. The area is sub tropical and receives most of it’s rainfall in summer. The trachyte rock becomes very slippery in the well trafficked and worn places when wet so try to avoid being caught out in rain on the "Hiker's Route" in particular. On hot summer days, it is most advisable to stay off the north face routes (including the "Hiker's Route") due to the risk of heatstroke . Winter days are dry and mild and daytime temperature rarely drops below 17degC.

 

Camping & Accommodation

No tourist camping is allowed in the park but bush camping by small groups is generally tolerated. It is best to consult the local ranger on this. Take all rubbish out with you.

There is a privately owned camping area on the main tourist drive about 10km from the mountain. Glasshouse Mountains Farm offers bed and breakfast There are also two motels, and a hotel (Beerwah Pub) within a 10km radius.

 

Mountain Conditions

There is generally no fresh water occurring anywhere on the mountain so it is recommended that you carry a minimum of 1 litre of water, and two in warmer weather.

Beerwah's rock is softer in some places than is common in the rest of the mountain group. Surfaces vary from very dark and abrasive to smooth and worn (especially on parts of the "Hiker's Route") or soft compacted volcanic ash.

In places the rock has actually been shattered by extreme heat from bushfires.

 

Miscellaneous Info

Beerwah, Tibrogargan, Coonowrin are the main peaks in the Glasshouse Group., all three of which are clearly visible from the main highway leading north from Brisbane. Other lesser peaks which have worthwhile rock climbs of various grades are Ngungun (pronounce the "Ng" as you would in the word "anger") and Tibrowoocum. Climbing is currently (and controversially) prohibited on Coonowrin due to alleged high risk of rockfall. This controversy was not helped recently when an illegal climb resulted in the death of one of the climbers caused by rockfall.

For more mountain photos and general information about the Glasshouse mountains click here General Tourist Information

Links to Climbing Information

Climbing guide to Beerwah



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.