Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51780°N / 71.3694°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2380 ft / 725 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Belknap Mountain is one of the many classic family hiking destinations in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. The mountain offers an abundance of hiking trail that are all moderate in nature and great for those just breaking into hiking. On summit of Belknap Mountain lies a fire tower that is still in use today by the forest service. Commanding views can be seen from this summit tower.

There are four ways to the summit of Belknap Mountain. The most direct route, the Green Trail is steepest of the group. The trail itself is a class 1 trail but is rocky in places. The rocks on the trail are very slippery when wet though. There is a sign stating not to decend on the trail but the only caution I would say about this trail is the fact the rocks on this trail are unusually slippery.

The other three trails are different from the Green Trail. The Red trail veries not so much in steepness but in the fact that there the trail has fewer slippery rock areas. The White Trail is more scenic route to the summit with views of to the south. It also serves as the link to the Piper Mountain trail and Piper Mountain. The Blue Trail has two north views of the northern summits. The Blue Trail also serves as a link to the summit of Gunstock Mountain on the Saddle Trail. All of these trails are generally short (0.9 to 1.2 miles), class 1 and at a moderate pitch

Getting There


VIA THE CARRIAGE ROAD: From the I-93 exit in Tilton (exit 20) take route 3 east toward Laconia. Make a right on Route 11 bypass rough six miles east of I-93. Get on to 11A heading towards Gilford. Make a right on Belknap Mountain Road. Head through the town center of Gilford and head for almost 3 miles. Make a left at the old sign pointing to Belknap Mountain. Head up the road all the way to the trailhead which is at the end of the road.

Red Tape


There is no camping allowed at the summit the gates close at exactly 6 pm. The gate is closed in winter.

When To Climb


Spring through fall are usually the most popular time to climb this mountain. In winter you will be adding about 1.1 miles and about 700 feet elevation gain to the trip due the gate being closed

Camping


There no camping on the summit however there of plenty of campgrounds nearby Belknap mountain. Keep in mind that from the carriage road trailhead to the summit only takes 25-45 minutes making little reason for camping.

Mountain Conditions


Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions on Belknap Mountain.

Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Weather Conditions


This is the best link to weather in Laconia.

Weather in Nearby Laconia

Summit Picture Log


Post all of your hero pictures here.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

NH Lakes RegionMountains & Rocks