Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.60300°N / 114.111°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8071 ft / 2460 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Virgin Peak sits in a remote area approximately nine miles from Mesquite, Nevada. The mountain is the highest point in the Virgin Mountain range located northeast of Lake Mead. The summit offers nice views in every direction, including Lake Mead, the City of Mesquite, and the Valley of Fire. Due to its rugged and remote location, the peak sees few visitors.

Getting There

A 4X4 high clearance vehicle is required. From Las Vegas, Nevada, take I-15 North to the Bunkerville Exit, (112). The exit is approximately 74 miles north of Las Vegas. Turn right (south) and drive 3 ½ miles. You will encounter a narrow bridge which crosses over the Virgin River. Just past the bridge turn right onto an unmarked road. Drive 21 miles on this paved road until the pavement ends and the road forks. Take the left fork and drive for 2.4 miles. Turn left onto a rough gravel road, drive approximately a mile until you see an old corral. Drive past the corral for as far as your vehicle will allow. There is severe damage to the 4X4 road, normally you could drive another three miles, but now this last portion has to be done on foot.

Red Tape

There are no permits, passes, or fees required.

When To Climb

Climb this peak in cooler weather, as shade is limited. Plenty of water is a must, as there are no reliable water sources in the area. Bring more than you think you will need, as the climb is steep and you will use it.

Camping

This is a very rocky area, but camping is allowed. The Whitney Pockets area is ideal for camping purposes, and would allow for additional exploring in its striking red rock formations.

Mountain Conditions

The trailhead is marked by some remnants of rusted old truck parts. Starting west from this area, head to the ridge. There is a wall which involves some brief class 3 climbing. After climbing the wall, continue up (west) toward the ridge. Once on the ridge, head north and ascend to the summit. The biggest challenge will be a lot of brush and insects (depending on the season). Follow the ridge all the way to the summit. The ridgeline is steep at times. As you close in on final approach, a path appears from time to time, but your goal is obvious and the use path is not critical to follow.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
SusanM

SusanM - Sep 25, 2005 10:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

There is the largest agave roasting pit I have ever seen on the right side of the road, about 1/8 of a mile before you reach the trailhead.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Southern NevadaMountains & Rocks
 
Virgin MountainsMountains & Rocks