Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.57420°N / 15.79030°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5846 ft / 1782 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Geographical Classification: Eastern Alps - East of Mur Forealps - Fischbach Alps

Stuhleck is the highest peak of Fischbach Alps, a grassy mountain with mild slopes. It is just its height that made the very highest part be without trees. This, and its position vis-a-vis the Northern Limestone Alps makes it a great destination to overview the eastern end of the imposant, rocky ranges. The view reaches from Schneeberg to Hochschwab, even parts of Seckauer Tauern can be seen on clear days.

The Fischbach Alps are a small mountain subrange of the East of Mur Forealps, belonging geologically to the central ridge of Eastern Alps. Spreading about 50km from south-west to north-east, it is separated from other groups by the Mürz and Mur rivers in the north and west. In the south-east, the hills of Joglland, Wechsel and Bucklige Welt lead to the boundary of Alps here.

There are well known ski resorts in the north, around the town Semmering. But apart from the pistes, there are popular ski routes, walks and mountain bike trails. No real climbing here, but the views are well worth it.

Getting There


From north: exit the S6 highway at Spital am Semmering. For the traditional Kaltenbachgraben ski route, follow the marks to the Stuhleck lifts (parking). Or, by train to Spital am Semmering (Intercity from Vienna hourly) and take the ski bus to the Stuhleck ski resort.

Southern approaches from Rettenegg and Pfaffensattel are reachable through the Krieglach exit (from south) or at Steinhaus am Semmering.

Routes overview


All routes are marked and easy.
  1. From north:
    1. Kaltenbachgraben - most popular, also as a ski route. On ski, mostly the piste is used as downhill - good for beginners. 2.5h.
    2. Auersbachgraben, Schwarzriegelalm. Not a typical ski route (not steep enough, more a ski walk), but very, very nice. 4-5h.

  2. From south:
    1. Pfaffensattel, the shortest ascend. 1.5h
    2. Rettenegg, Schwarzriegel. Quite popular on ski as well. 2.5h

Stuhleck lies on the mountain bike trail Alpentour Austria, a multi-day cross of Alps between Dachstein and Vienna.

Red Tape


No official limitations, except that mountain bikers have to follow the marked trails.

When To Climb


All year, even when the avalanche conditions are sub-ideal. Check the avalanche bulletin at Lawine Steiermark for what you can do safely. The ascend from Kaltenbachgraben is possible in quite any weather, the southern approaches require some sight, whereas during the last phase of Auersbachgraben ascend, you are exposed to wind on the ridge for a longer time.

Northern Limestone Alps

Accomodation



Mountain Conditions


For avalanche conditions, see Lawine Steiermark. Weather forecasts are at wetter.orf.at and ZAMG.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.