Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.79600°N / 123.672°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6411 ft / 1954 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Bear Mountain is the highpoint of Del Norte County, California and is in the Siskiyou Wilderness area. Bear Mountain is a rocky summit that sits above a pristine beautiful lake named Devils Punchbowl. The summit of Bear Mountain is on the Del Norte/Siskiyou County line. While Bear Mountain is the highest point in Del Norte County, it is hardly worth mentioning as a summit in Siskiyou County that is dominated by Mt. Shasta. More information about County Highpoints can be found at
County Highpoint Organization

The Siskiyou Wilderness was created in 1984, encompasses 153,000 acres, and is managed by the Siskiyou, Six Rivers, and Klamath National Forests. The Siskiyou Wilderness area is remote and may be the least visited wilderness area in the US. For more information about the Siskiyou Wilderness follow these links

Six Rivers

Gorp Siskiyou Wilderness

Gorp Smith River National Recreation Area

Getting There


To find the trailhead take Hwy 199 north from Crescent City about 28 miles or Hwy 199 south from Grants Pass about 53 miles. Drive carefully because Hwy 199 is narrow and crooked in spots with large trucks and RV’s slowing progress and hogging the road. Turn east on Little Jones Creek Road. Little Jones Creek Road is paved but it is narrow and only one lane wide in many areas. Stay on Little Jones Creek Road for about 10 miles where a gravel road designated 16N02 forks to the left. Stay left and follows the signs to Doe Flat. The road ends before you get to Doe Flat at a large parking area at about 4,400 ft elevation. There is a modern outhouse, a few campsites, and a few picnic tables next to the parking area.

Red Tape


No permits required unless you want a campfire. This is a Wilderness area so no motorized vehicles or bicycles allowed.

District Offices: Smith River National Recreation Area, Gasquet, (707) 457-3131

Ranger Station Info

Six Rivers Forest Info

When To Climb


Bear Mountain is a summer climb. There is a lot of snow in the winter and sometimes this snow doesn’t melt out of the chutes until mid-July. The road may be closed at times also by the forest service. Call Six Rivers Ranger station in Gasquet for current conditions.

Camping


There are lots of camping areas within a few miles of the trailhead, including areas in Redwood National Park and along the Wild and Scenic Smith River. Camping is available at the trailhead also.

Backpack camping is available along the trail at Doe Flats, Buck Lake, and Devils Punchbowl. These are all undeveloped campgrounds with the only amenities being a flat spot for a tent and water that should be filtered before use.

Follow these links for more camping information.

Forest Service Camping Info


Six Rivers Forest Info


Smith River Campgrounds


Mountain Conditions


The mountain is not accessible during the winter because of snow cover. Call the Gasquet Ranger station for more information. For current weather conditions click on the following link.

Weather Conditions



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.