Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.27810°N / 118.679°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9331 ft / 2844 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This is a fun class 3 scramble of an SPS peak the Western Sierra. This peak can be done in a dayhike from the Hidden Falls Campground or a nice two day trip including N. Maggie Mountain.

From the Hidden Falls Campgound cross the Tule River on a road, look for the River Trail sign on your left. Take the river trail north to meet up with the Summit Lake trail on the east side of the river. There is a good established campsite in Long Meadow. Long meadow is about 2-3 miles from the trailhead. The peak is about another 2-3 miles, depending on how you decide to go in order to avoid the brush. Total gain from the trailhead is about 3000 ft.

My advice is to go a bit farther north than you think is necessary to stay out of the brush. Head west through the forest and traverse back south to the gully below the peak (above the brush). There is a nice class 3 scramble up the gully. If you gain the ridge too far north, there is also a route that goes through to the summit, perhaps dropping elevation and leaving the ridge for a short time alternating on the west/east side of the ridge depending on which looks easier.

Getting There


From 99 north of Bakersfield Take Highway 65 north to Porterville. Take 190 through Porterville to Springville. Continue northeast from Springville for just under a mile until you see the "Mountain Home State Forest" sign. Turn north (left) onto Balch Park (County highway J37) at the sign.

About 4 miles north of 190 bear right on Bear Creek Drive as indicated by another sign that points to Mtn Home. This turn is easy to miss (if you get to Milo, you went to far!). Follow Bear Creek Drive (county highway m-220) as it goes northeast across Rancheria Creek and then east to the conservation camp, then the road winds south to a great overlook, then northeast to the Mountain Home State Forest headquarters. Follow the main road, and keep looking for Balch Park or Shake Camp signs. About 3.75 mile past the Mountain Home State Forrest headquarters the road forks. Take the right fork. Then shortly turn right again. Continue 2.5 miles to Hidden Falls Campground. If you get to Shake camp you missed the last turn. Backtrack .6 miles.

Red Tape


For overnight permits contact:

Tule River Ranger District
32588 Highway 190
Springville, CA 93265
559-539-2607

There is no charge for permits and the rangers will leave it outside the station for you to pick up. Also, fires are permitted so be sure to get a campfire permit if you plan to have a fire.

There is overnight parking and day use parking close to the trailhead.

When To Climb


Spring, summer, or early fall. Starting in October it is hunting season, so wear orange.

Camping


Camping is allowed in the area with a permit. There is an established campsite at the trailhead called the Hidden Falls Campground, call the ranger station for reservation information. Bivying near the trailhead has worked for me in the past.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
tarol

tarol - Jul 18, 2006 7:47 pm - Voted 9/10

Hidden Falls Campground

FYI: Hidden Falls Campground cannot be reserved, all sites are first-come, first-served and there is no charge.

mengbo

mengbo - May 4, 2015 1:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hidden Falls Campground

No. It has a fee for camping, $15 per night, I just came back 5/3/2015.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2