Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.14400°N / 149.556°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5230 ft / 1594 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Tikishla Peak, a beautiful mountain in the Chugach Front Range, is located up the North Fork of Campbell Creek. This peak stands guard over much of Anchorage, its two high points readily discernible and very intriguing to any ambitious hiker....Although accessible from Anchorage, its distance and notable elevation gain make it harder to summit then other Front Range peaks....In the Dena'iai language, Tikishla means "black bear," a fitting name for a powerful mountain.

Getting There


Check with the Military Police(see below) before starting at the Stuckagain Trailhead off Basher Rd which is off of Campbell Airstrip. Follow the trail down to the North Fork of Campbell Creek, cross at the small bridge, follow the trail to The Dome then assess your route from there... some people might continue to the summit of Knoya Peak then follow the northwest ridge from its summit over to Tikishla, this route is more prone to have snow cover on the final 1/2 mile to the summit.... Another approach from The Dome is to drop back down to the North Fork of Campbell Creek, staying clear of the alder down low, follow the creek up the valley, the southwest ridge that leads to the summit of Tikishla Peak is obvious.... follow the ridge, route finding is important as you get higher.....An easy descent is to follow the obvious scree fields on the southern flanks of Tikishla down to Campbell Creek and walk out from there, plan a route up high or thick conifers and alder will block your path and make walking out more of an adventure then it has to be....An Alternative approach starts from Prospect Heights Trailhead, hikes up and over Near Point, then down into the North Fork Campbell Creek valley and up Tikishla Peak. Refer to the 50 Hikes in Chugach State Park guidebook, which is an excellent resource for hikes in the area.

Red Tape


Tikishla Peak is unique in that its located on the Fort Richardson Military Reservation, and not within the boundaries of Chugach State Park. This peak is owned by the U.S. Army, call the military police at (907) 284-0823, for permission to hike/climb.
Also check in with the Chugach State Park to see if any fees, permits, etc... are necessary to access or camp in the park boundaries.

When To Climb


For myself, October was the perfect time... cool temperatures, blue skies, just a dusting of snow up high and not a person in sight.... Long summer days in June and July would also be very nice....In the right conditions, this peak can be climbed year round.

Camping


Ask the military police @ (907) 284-0823 about their policy regarding camping.
Backcountry camping is allowed in Chugach State Park just make sure to Leave No Trace.

Mountain Conditions


General weather conditions can be observed the old fashion way from Anchorage.... more technologically adept people might check out
NOAA Alaska Forecast
< http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/AKZ101.php?warncounty=AKC020&city=Anchorage >

Miscellaneous Info


In 50 Hikes in Chugach State Park, Tikishla Peak's summit is recorded as being 5,150'. True elevation is 5,230'. The Anchorage A-7 1:63,360 map shows elevation to be <5200'. Do research before leaving, double check sources, and bring a detailed topo map.

Random Thoughts


It would seem a shame that the U.S. Army owns mountains in the Chugach Front Range. The southeastern quadrant of Fort Richardson Military Reservation might as well be handed over to the Chugach State Park, as if it was that easy! Is their any history of trying to redraw the military reservations border?....I'd like to propose an expansion of Chugach State Park to encompass the mountains, Tikishla Peak, Knoya Peak and Kanchee Peak.....the military might have reasons for holding onto it, high mountain training perhaps?, but the idea of redefining the border, and conserving this invaluable land so close to this metropolis, is an even better idea......

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-7 of 7

Steve Gruhn - Oct 17, 2005 6:57 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

In Alaska we generally use a minimum rise above the saddle of 500 feet to determine whether a feature is a peak instead of a mere bump.

Steve Gruhn - Oct 17, 2005 6:44 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

The summit is within the boundaries of Fort Richardson and not within Chugach State Park. Regulations abound - hikers must be on an approved list to enter Fort Richardson for recreational purposes and must check in and check out each time they enter Fort Richardson.

Steve Gruhn - Oct 17, 2005 6:55 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

Tikishla Peak isn't a real peak; it is more of a bump on the northwest ridge of East Tanaina Peak. Tikishla Peak only rises about 352 feet above the saddle connecting it to West Tanaina Peak and East Tanaina Peak.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Nov 20, 2013 11:27 am - Voted 8/10

Re: Untitled Comment

It would seem that 352' is adequate prominence to constitute a real, identifiable peak among mountains of this size--this is not the Alaska Range or the Wrangells. I guess I've never understood why anyone would want to apply an across the board 500' minimum even in small ranges.

Steve Gruhn - Oct 17, 2005 6:57 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

In Alaska we generally use a minimum rise above the saddle of 500 feet to determine whether a feature is a peak instead of a mere bump.

craigbunten - Oct 20, 2005 7:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Tikishla Peak is unique in that its located on the Fort Richardson Military Reservation, and not within the boundaries of Chugach State Park. This peak is owned by the U.S. Army, call the military police at (907) 284-0823, for permission to hike/climb.

Steve Gruhn - Oct 21, 2005 7:57 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

Snow Hawk Mountain and Ship Creek Hill are both peaks solely on Fort Richardson land and north of Tikishla Peak.

There was a move afoot a few years ago to transfer the Fort Richardson land east of Muldoon Road, south of the Glenn Highway, and south of Ship Creek to the Municipality of Anchorage and Chugach State Park. The proposal didn't go anywhere because there was nothing in it for the military and the Army would lose some training grounds.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7