Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.50000°N / 121.87°W
Additional Information County: Alameda
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2658 ft / 810 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Allison is located about one mile south of the popular Mission Peak, above the city of Fremont. The summit occupies property that is owned by the same company that owns land on Mount Umunhum, south of San Jose. Flanked by steep grassy slopes, antennae dot the broad summit. Even though Mt. Allison is so close to Mission Peak and higher, it is seldom hiked because it lies on a small section of private property. There are no ranch houses around Mt. Allison, therefore the chances for being caught trespassing is very small. The land is owned by Communications and Control Inc., who maintain radio transmitters. As long as nobody interferes with the equipment at the summit, there shouldn't be any tension between the landowners and the hikers. Chances are that you or your party will be the only ones on the summit. This may come as quite a relief after hiking the ever so crowded Mission Peak. One mile south of Mt. Allison, Monument Peak occupies the Santa Clara/Alameda County line This is another rarely hiked summit. This is also a nice edition to a Mission Peak/Mt. Allison hike. Monument Peak, at 2,594 feet, is the second highest summit of the Diablo sub-range that occupies Mission Peak and Mt. Allison. Monument Peak is located within the boundaries of the Mission Peak Regional Preserve, therefore doesn't lie on private property. Mt. Allison would be considered an S1 on the "Sneak Peak Climbing" scale.

Getting There

The trailhead is the same trailhead for Mission Peak. Refer to the "Getting There" section. Hike to the summit of Mission Peak. Along the way, you'll catch glimpses of the noticeable, radio tower covered summit of Mt. Allison. In 3 miles from the parking lot you'll come to the summit of Mission Peak. From here, ditch the heavy crowds and head south down the summit ridge of Mission on a small trail. This will turn into a fire road as you come onto the larger ridge that separates Mission Peak and Mt. Allison. There are a couple of other roads that branch off. Follow the road that leads in the general direction (south) of Mt. Allison. The road will go through a park gate and continue through a relatively flat, grassy field. Another unpaved fire road heads right. This dead ends around the bend, so continue left. Soon, a roughly paved road will cross the fire road. There is a small sign that says "Restricted Area" and "Keep Out". Make a right on this road and it will lead directly up to the summit and the radio towers. The view stretches from the city of San Francisco, down to the Santa Cruz Mountains, and east and south into the Diablo Range. On the clearest of days, the Sierra Nevada are visible. Retrace your steps back to the fireroad. If you'd like to visit Monument Peak, follow the directions from the Getting There Section on the Monument Peak page. From the Stanford Ave. trailhead to Monument Peak and back is around 10 miles.

Red Tape

Mt. Allison does lie on private property that is marked, yet not gated. Chances of getting caught are very small. Other than this, there is no red tape.

When To Climb

The summer months are capable of closing Mission Peak Regional Preserve due to fire hazard. This area gets very hot in the summer and there is limited shade. Fall, winter and spring are very nice times to hike Mt. Allison, though the trails can get quite muddy after a large rainstorm.

Camping

Camping is not permitted in Mission Peak Regional Preserve.

Mountain Conditions

To check on fire closures, call the East Bay Regional Park District at 510-562-PARK. I've arrived at the Stanford Ave. trailhead more than once to find the park closed, so it is wise to call ahead in the summer months.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Oct 19, 2005 10:30 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think you have the term mixed up. Easements are public rights of way through private property, not the other way around. The highpoint of Monument Peak is on private property, not public. There is a trail that crosses near the summit on a public easement (at the generosity of the landowner), but the side road leading to the summit knoll is clearly marked Private. That said, I've wandered up there several times and there is little chance that anyone will care since there are no installations at the highpoint.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1