Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.45030°N / 121.001°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7160 ft / 2182 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hawkins Mountain (7,160+ ft) is a high, somewhat solitary double-summit massif that dominates the region of mountains five miles WSW of Mt. Stuart and three miles southwest of Ingalls Peak. (It is Ingalls Peak that “holds” Hawkins’ respectable 1520 feet of prominence.) The higher of the two summits, the west summit, is an excellent viewpoint. As such, it sees a fair amount of climber traffic. The climb from the south and west is merely a hike. The east summit (called “Thimble” by Fred Beckey but I'm sure he hasn't climbed it; it's someone else's name) involves a little more work to get to and then finishes with a short, exposed Class 3/4 scramble by the easiest route (go here for more information).

The mountain is somewhat bipolar in personality. While the north side is cliffy and unappealing from a climbing standpoint, it nonetheless offers the finest visage of what a true Cascades peak should look like. The south side is more benign yet has its own qualities. For one, there is a high meadow below the two summits. And, save for an old mine road with wheel tracks that have rutted the stream meander, it offers a sense of life in what is strangely a desolate landscape. Lower flanks of the mountain seem to be eroding away at a higher rate—especially in to Boulder Creek south of the Section 32 mark on the map. This has resulted in many exfoliated ravines and slopes—the kind of thing one might expect from strip-mining.

And speaking of mining, Hawkins’ lower slopes and even its mid-slopes have been diligently explored for worthy ores. There are numerous adits marked on the map. The Camp Creek drainage north of the creek has been especially probed. Below Huckleberry Mountain (a minor summit terminating the west ridge of Hawkins) there are at least two shafts and one prospect hole. Down at the mouth of the Camp Creek valley there are residences, no doubt those owning the claims there on.

Another mining-related point of interest (though there’s nothing manmade at that location to see), is a United States Mineral Monument here. Such monuments are essentially federal claims for mineral rights. This choice of location is not surprising given the odd nature of the rock exposures on the mountain. In fact, there were boulders that looked suspiciously like coal.

Getting There

There are four typical ways to climb Hawkins Mountain. Three of these approach from Cle Elum River Road, which runs past the peak’s western base. Another approaches from DeRoux Creek on the southeast by way of Teanaway River Road. Each of these will be elaborated on below. The easiest/quickest route is via a 4WD road up the Camp Creek drainage.

Camp Creek Route

From Interstate 90 take the exits to Roslyn (Exit 80 and Bullfrog Road from the west and Exit 84 from the east). Drive Highway 903 (Cle Elum River Road) northwest then north. The road is paved all the way past Cle Elum Lake to Salmon La Sac Campground (13 miles from Roslyn?). From the campground continue 5.4 miles to a turn-off on the right (c. 3080 ft). Drive east up the road for about half-a-mile to the Boulder Creek Trailhead (on the right). A road continues straight east into the trees. A sign on a tree reads “4WD305” and is the mine road leading up the south slopes of Huckleberry Mountain.

Park at the sign (there is a pull-out on the left), elevation 3,340 ft. Walk the 4WD road into the trees then go left across Camp Creek on a short plank bridge. To the left will be a occupied house with a driveway leading to it. A few feet to the right is another road that also looks like a driveway (especially in the early morning light). This is actually the 4WD road you want. It curls around the corner.

Hike up the 4WD road (in fairly good condition a lot of the time) as it makes several switchbacks. In about a mile-and-a-half reach a junction at 5,000 ft. The left road cuts back left to an end at an adit just below the summit of 5,667-ft Huckleberry Mountain. The right (straight) road continues on toward Hawkins’ west summit. The map shows the road ending at 5,260 ft. It actually makes two more switchbacks there and ends or becomes indecipherable at 5,500 ft. (Later I would come across more roadway but it was quite overgrown.)

When the road ends simply make a long ascending arc leftward to the summit. Approach the final rocks by way of the minor saddle on the south then walk Class 2 slabs to the flat summit with a cairn and a register.

Time = 3 hours; Gain = 3,800 ft; Distance = 3 miles.

As an alternative for the descent, consider taking the ridge south of Camp Creek back to the car.

De Roux Creek Route

This is about equal to the Camp Creek Route in terms of time required. But if you’re coming from the west (like from Seattle) the extra driving will make it seem longer. There is slightly more distance involved but it is all trail.

From US-970 (the Cle Elum cut-off to Blewett Pass Highway, US-97) seven miles north of I-90, take Teanaway Road northwest then north on North Fork Teanaway Road. Keep on the road for 21.5 miles from US-970 until you get to De Roux Campground (elev. 3.760 ft). Find the trail up De Roux Creek. In 1.5 miles (c. 4,160 ft), keep right at a junction to keep heading up the Creek. In approx. 4 miles from the car reach Gallagher Head Lake (5,620 ft) at the pass between “High Esmerelda” (Pk 6765) and Gallaher* Head. A trail—actually a 4WD road--leads west along the base of Gallaher Head and the east summit of Hawkins to the basin at the head of Boulder Creek (c. 6,300 ft). 4WD road ends here with destructive rutting in the meadow. Turn right (north) and hike up-slope to the saddle between Hawkins’ two summits. Contour the moderately steep northeast slopes of the west (main) summit to the final minor saddle thence the summit. Class 2.

Time = 3 hours; Gain = 3,400 ft; Distance = 5.5 miles.

* per official name change effective 2006: Gallagher --> Gallaher.

Boulder Creek Route

Start at the Camp Creek Route. There is actually a trailhead there for Boulder Creek. You may actually be able to drive south from Camp Creek a half-mile to 3,600 ft. You can also get to the Boulder Creek Trail by way of a 4WD road 4.4 miles north of Salmon La Sac Campground. I don’t know if this road is drivable. The trail arcs around the south side of Hawkins and eventually arrives at Gallaher* Head Lake in about 5 miles. You’ll want to leave the trail at 3.8 miles (from Camp Creek) and bear due north toward the 6,300-ft basin south of the summit. Continue as per the De Roux Creek Route. Allow 4 hours. Distance is about 5 miles.

* per official name change effective 2006: Gallagher --> Gallaher.

Fortune Creek Route

Approach by automobile as per the Camp Creek Route but instead continue 1.9 miles up Cle Elum River Road to Fortune Creek (7.3 miles from Salmon La Sac Campground). A road leads east up Fortune Creek. This road may become impassable to standard vehicles. Drive or hike the road up Fortune Creek for 2.2 miles to a junction. Go right toward Hawkins. You should be able to see it looming over the valley. In 3.3 more miles on fairly good 4WD road reach Gallaher$ Head Lake. Continue as per De Roux Creek Route. Allow 5 hours. Distance is about 7 miles.

* per official name change effective 2006: Gallagher --> Gallaher.

Red Tape

There is no red tape for the Camp Creek Route. That is, no Trail Park Pass is required. I’m not sure about the De Roux Creek Route. The Boulder Creek Trail essentially starts in the same place as the Camp Creek Route. I don’t recall seeing any trailhead requirements; but given that this mountain is not protected as wilderness or even national forest (that I could tell), this is not surprising.

When To Climb

You could climb the main (west) summit at any time of year provided you can get close to the peak. In winter the Cle Elum River Road becomes a snowmobiles-only SnoPark. The Camp Creek Route would be pretty easy on skis. The upper slopes might be an avalanche hazard. The east summit (“Thimble”) would be more sporting in winter.

Camping

Hawkins is merely a day-climb from every direction. However, good camping can be found in the south basin and probably at Gallaher Head Lake. On the approach roads there are plenty of standard drive-in campgrounds.

Mountain Conditions

Localized Forecast
Roslyn Forecast

Views from the Mountain I


Views from the Mountain II




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.