Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.88728°N / 109.31435°W
Additional Information County: Greenlee
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6571 ft / 2003 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The summit as we approach.
The summit as we approach.

Guthrie Peak is the highest point of the Black Hills, the northern extension of the Peloncillo Mountains in eastern Arizona. The peak is visible along highway US-191 between Safford and Clifton, rising over 2,000 feet above the highway and featuring communications towers. Standing at 6,571’, it isn’t a major Arizona summit. However, it does enjoy a prominence of over 2,000’, making it a worthwhile destination in its own right. Although it is far from any major Arizona cities (over 2 hours away from Tucson, and over 3 ½ hours from Phoenix), it is a worthwhile peak if visiting the area.

The summit is easily accessible because it starts right off US-191 and has a road to the top. For this reason, Guthrie Peak can be hiked any time of year.

Getting There

To reach Guthrie Peak from any major Arizona communities, you need to get to Safford. Once there, drive approximately 10 miles east on US-70 and then take a left at the junction for US-191. Drive that for about 17 miles passing The Mitten 5,020’ on the way, which is a notable landmark rock formation.

The Black Hills from US-191
The Black Hills from US-191
The Mitten - 5,020' - Greenlee County, AZ
The Mitten - 5,020' - Greenlee County, AZ

Once you reach Mile Marker 147, the starting point in on your left. Hike up the road for 3 ¾ miles. You will pass underneath the summit towers, and the road leads to the west side of the summit. Take a road leading up to the towers, which switchbacks for half a mile to the summit.  The total elevation gain for the hike is almost 1,800'.

View to Guthrie Peak from the switchbacks
View to Guthrie Peak from the switchbacks
Walking towards the summit towers
Walking towards the summit towers

Red Tape

No red tape.  The mountain is located on BLM land.

External Links

Scott Surgent Trip Report