Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.80180°N / 105.794°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12300 ft / 3749 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Russell Peak" is located on the Continental Divide about 1 mile west-northwest of Berthoud Pass in Northern Colorado. "Russell Peak" was the site of the 2000 Berthoud BadAss Championships, a freeskiing competition. Berthoud Pass was the first ski area in Colorado, opening in 1937 and closing in 2001. Today, "Russell Peak" is a popular hiking and backcountry skiing destination. From Berthoud Pass, attaining the summit requires no more than first class hiking and 1,060' of elevation gain. Longs Peak and Colorado Mines Peak and Mount Flora are all visible from the summit.

Getting There

The trailhead is on the west side of Berthoud Pass, which is at mile marker 243 on US 40. Berthoud Pass can be accessed from the north via Winter Park and Fraser or from the south via Empire. To access Berthoud Pass from the south, exit I-70 at exit # 233. Park on the east side of Berthoud Pass. US 40 is plowed regularly allowing easy year-round accessibility.
Russell Peak Ascent Route
"Russell Peak" ascent route from Berthoud Pass. 2.6 miles with 1,060' of elevation gain. Click to enlarge.

Red Tape

No permits required.

When To Climb

Russell Peak can be climbed all year long and recommended for skiing as early as November and as late as June!

Camping

There are 5 campgrounds between Berthoud Pass and Winter Park: 970-887-4100.

Floral Park Campground is south of Berthoud Pass on US 40: 303-567-2901.

Mountain Conditions

Berthoud Pass Weather Forecast

External Links

Lists of John


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.