Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.78370°N / 71.8825°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1814 ft / 553 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Kidder Mountain is another small mountain in the Monadnock Region that is big on views. Though the summit signs says the mountain is only 1814 feet, the views to the south and southeast are incredible. This mountain rumored to have views all of the way down to the Boston Skyline (although on my visit to the summit I did not see Boston). The views to the southeast though are totally unobstructed and the panorama easily stretches to 180 degrees. There two seperates views to the west and the north but these views are limited and in about ten years they will become overgrown.

There are two ways to the reach the summit of Kidder Mountain. Both the northern route from Nashua Rd and the southern route from Route 123 involved the Wapack Trail and the same side trail to the summit called the Kidder Trail. Both trails are class 1. From the north this hike is five miles roundtrip and 600 feet elevation gain, where from the south the trail is 3 miles roundtrip with an elevation gain of 500 feet. This trail section involves traveling past the side section of what looks like a private ski area so I would advise this route in winter.

Getting There


VIA ROUTE 123 FROM THE SOUTH: Take route 123 to the height of land on the Wapack Ridge (about a mile south of the intersection of 124 and 123). There will be a sign on your left saying Wapack Rd. DO NOT PARK THERE. Instead park across the street in turnout where there is a specific sign marking the Wapack Trail. THis park area will be on your left if coming from the north or from the right if coming from the south

VIA NASHUA ROAD FROM THE NORTH: Take 123 to Nashua Rd. make a left (from the north) or right (from the south) onto Nashua Road and head a mile east. The Wapack Trail will be on you right across from the small horse barn.

Red Tape


There are no fees at the trailhead. However you want to check out this page for this mountain and all Wapack Trail information

When To Climb


Though this mountain can be hiked at anytime time of the year I would recommend not hiking in winter because the Wapack Trail in this section looks to bypass a small private ski area if hiking in from the south.

Camping


Camping is prohibited on Kidder Mountain. To check for area where camping is permitted on the Wapack Trail check out this page for this mountain and all Wapack Trail information.

Mountain Conditions


Check out this page for this mountain and all Wapack Trail information

Here are some websites that will provided you more information on conditions on Kidder Mountain. Focus on all of the information for the lower mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions


Weather Information


This is the best link to weather near Kidder Mountain.

Weather in Nearby Temple

Summit Picture Log


Post hero pictures here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks