Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.26180°N / 90.5244°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1313 ft / 400 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mudlick Mountain is claimed to be the most prominent point in Missouri by Peakbagger.com but I'm not sure I agree. It does offer the most elevation gain in the State with nearly 900 feet of gain from trailhead to summit. Mudlick Mountain is also one of the oldest areas of exposed rock in North America.

Mudlick Mountain is 459 feet shorter than the State’s highpoint Taum Sauk Mountain. The trailhead is located near Big Creek just above where it drains into the St. Francois River. Sam A. Baker State Park also contains the Mudlick Mountain Natural Area. The mountain has three really cool stone shelters built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on its slopes that have fireplaces and make a great overnight backpack. You will pass each of these on the way to the summit.

Getting There

Drive south from Fredericktown on US Highway 67. Between the small communities of Lodi and Silva, turn west (right) on Highway 34. Turn north (right) in a few miles on Highway 143 to Sam A. Baker State Park. The Park Office and Dining Lodge are on the right. The Trailhead is across the road from the Dining Lodge.

Directions can also be found on the Sam A. Baker State Park website.

Both the Shut-Ins Trail and the Mudlick Trail begin here and can be used to summit Mudlick Mountain. The Shut-Ins Trail follows Big Creek and eventually climbs to meet the Mudlick Trail.

Red Tape

The entire route is located in Sam A. Baker State Park. Check the park website for the status of the trail and shelters.

When To Climb

The route should be open year round but would be rather unpleasant in the hot summer months. Check the Sam A. Baker State Park website for the status of the trail and shelters.

Camping

Camping is available in Sam A. Baker State Park. There are also three really cool stone shelters built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on its slopes that have fireplaces and make a great overnight backpack.

Mountain Conditions

Check local weather here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

AlanP - Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Mudlick vs Black

Mudlick is not the highest change in elevation in Missouri. It rises 880 feet. Black mountain in Madison county rises 940 feet from the Saint Francis River at its base.

AlanP - Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Mudlick vs Black

Mudlick is not the highest change in elevation in Missouri. It rises 880 feet. Black mountain in Madison county rises 940 feet from the Saint Francis River at its base.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OzarksMountains & Rocks