Cubryna/Čubrina

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18806°N / 20.05361°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7795 ft / 2376 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an inconspicuous summit on the main ridge of the High Tatras, overshadowed by its big neighbour Mięguszowiecki Szczyt Wielki / Veľký Mengusovský Štit, but very important in terms of Tatra geography – here begins a big lateral ridge with Kôprovský Štit / Koprowy Wierch, Hrebeň Bašt / Grań Baszt with Satan / Szatan, Hrubý Vrch / Hruby Wierch, Soliska / Grań Solisk and Krivaň / Krywań at its end. Moreover, the main European watershed between the Black Sea and the Baltic Sea leaves the main ridge of the Tatras here and turns south.

Cubryna peak from Lysa Polana
N face - photo by Tomek Lodowy

Not only for its geography is Cubryna featured here. It is one of my favorite Tatra mountains because of a very nice panorama from its summit. 

Mount Cubryna - High TatrasW face - photo by Tomek Lodowy

Cubryna rises over Rybiego Potoku / Rybiho Potoka Valley in the north-west, its branch Za Mnichem Valley in north, Piargova / Piarżysta Valley in the east and Mengusovská / Mięguszowiecka Valley in the south. By the north-west ridge connects with Zadni Mnich / Druhý Mnich (through Przełączka Pod Zadnim Mnichem / Štrbina za Druhým Mnichem), to the south-east connects with Wielki Mięguszowiecki Szczyt / Mengusovský Štit through Hińczowa Pass / Hincovo Sedlo and to the south-west with Kôprovský Štit / Koprowy Szczyt.

Cubryna
From Kôprovský Štit (SW) - by blaze

The name comes from the highlander dialect: Cubryna means a crop of hair. Why? Well, its crest is said to look dishevelled :)

Cubryna in morning glow
NW face - by Tomek Lodowy
Cubryna was first climbed by Karol Potkański and his guides Kazimierz Bednarz and Jan Fedra in 1884. In winter in 1913 by Istvan Laufer and E. Maurer.

Summit Views

On Cubryna summit (2376m)A view of Mięguszowiecki Szczyt Wielki - photo by Ivona


The view from the top is beautiful and extensive. Only in the south-east direction it is obscured by the neighbouring Mięguszowiecki Szczyt. From Cubryna you can see  all of the Western Tatras, the north and east parts of the High Tatras including the Krivaň group.

 

When To Climb

Views from Cubryna on Ciemnosmreczynska valley and lakesLooking west from the summit (25 October 2009) - photo by Ivona

Cubryna is available all year. The best time for scrambling to the summit is summer and early autumn (July to September). In winter Cubryna's walls are a climber's paradise.

Routes Overview

NORMAL ROUTES: 

Mnich and Cubryna seen from...

 

1. Via Galerie Cubryńskie to Hińczowa/Hincovo Pass. At the pass turn right and follow a distinct path up the rather broad here Cubryna’ south-east ridge. Bypass the first crag on the ridge, then come back onto the main ridge, rocky and pretty narrow, to the summit (big exposure, rock difficulty about UIAA I). 
2. Right Abgarowicz - not so interesting as the previous route, but in winter the safest (but it does not mean that it is safe under any conditions!)
3. From Hincova Valley – the most popular route from the Slovakian side
4. From Piargova Valley – from Morskie Oko via Wrota Chałubińskiego or Pod Zadnim Mnichem Pass

ROCK CLIMBING ROUTES
North-west face TOPO

Maps


Map of Cubryna' area

There are plenty of options available. One of the best is the 1:25,000 map of the Polish and Slovak Tatras by WiT. It is waterproof, durable and cheap.

Other Information

For Getting There, Red Tape, Accommodation and Mountain Conditions, please see the page for Mięguszowiecki Szczyt Wielki.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.