Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.16274°N / 20.00010°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Toprope, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8182 ft / 2494 m
Sign the Climber's Log

What's new on the page???

Page totally updated on the 4th of September, 2008!!!

I climbed Krivaň this summer (2008). The routes are absolutely cleaned from the broken trees which was caused by the heavy storms in the High Tatras durring the last years. So the mountain is comfortably climbable and there are many who climb it!

peterbud gave me some tips for writting slovak symbols on the 15th of July, 2007. So I am correcting the names!!!

Link to the map of the Tatra National Park added on 27 January, 2006. by Tomas Kristofory
at Red Tape section.

I would like to thank Tomas Kristofory for his kind help in createing this page, with his informations, critics and hearty words! I would also like to thank the Slovak and Polish nations for keeping the High-Tatras so beautiful and clean!

Overview

Kriváň (slo), Krywan (pol), Kriván (hun), Krivan (ger).


Krivan seen from Zawrat-sunsetPicture by Ivona


Krivan from Koprova dolina...Picture taken by Tomas Kristofory

The first summit of the High Tatras from the west! It is a really crowded mountain, many tourists climb it mostly in the summer or autumn! It is the second highest summit of the High Tatras which has marked trails on it with it's 2494 metres height!

From Krivaň there is an unbeleivable view (if you find a place to stand on the peak...) on the whole High Tatras and on the Západné Tatry which lays west from the High Tatras!

It's not to difficult to climb without any special gear, but do not begin your friendship with the High Tatras by climbing Krivaň...

Ascents and history

The first ascent is unknown, maybe miners were the first to climb Krivaň...

Vrana Skalka: KrivánVrana Skalka: Kriván


The first written memories are from 1772. The priest from Spisská Nová Ves /Igló-hun/ climbed it with his friends in 1772.

The first winter ascent was in 1884 by Theodor Wundt (ger) guided by Jakab Horvay (hun).

On the summit of Krivan peak
...Photo by Tomek Lodowy

In 1840 the saxon king Friedrich August II. climbed it. There was an obelisc on the summit for the memorie of this climb which was destroyed by lightnings and slovak patriots.

The mountain Krivaň has a very great meaning for the slovak and slav nations. Since 1955 the slovak patriots often make trips to Krivaň for the memory of the Slovak National Uprising which outbroke on 29 of August in 1944. Of course before 1955 there were trips to Krivaň. The first was in 1841 on the 16th of August guided by L'udovít Stúr and Michail M. Hodza. The biggest tour was in 1861 guided by Stefan M. Daxner.

Getting There

Krivan seen from Cesta...Route towards Krivan from west. Image by Tomas Kristofory

You can get to the High Tatras by car by bus by train or even by plane. The main center of the tourist atractions in the High Tatras is Poprad. The city of Poprad is situated at the south-east side of the High Tatras not far from the smaller villages in the mountains!

You can get there by plane from Bratislava (Sk), Prague (Cz), and from Viena (At), wich are the closest airports to Poprad National Airport. Unfortunatelly for the hungarian tourists there aren't any planes from Hungary!

You can reach Poprad by train or by bus from most of the bigger cities of the neighbouring countries and Slovakia! Thanks God trains and buses are also coming from Hungary!

KriváňImage by Gorzi


For helping the tourist who come from Hungary:

The trains leave from Budapest, Keleti International Railway Station a few times a day! For more information you can visit the website of the Hungarian National Railways (MÁV)!
The buses come from Budapest, Népliget International Bus Station also a few times a day. The website is aviable here!

You can also go by car from all over Europe!

From Poprad you can get to Strbské pleso (1355m) by train through Stary Smokovec (1010m).

Krywań - Krivan - 2495mImage by Konrad Sus

Red Tape

Tortoiseshell at slopes of Krivan (2495 m)Photo by ludmilienka

There are no permits required and no summit fees but you might pay for parking if you go by car. The fee is nearly the same at Tri studnicky (1140m) or at Strbské pleso (1355m) and it's about 160 Sk/day (~€ 5-6 or Ft/hun/ 1500). Tri studnicky parking place is guarded only till 18 p.m. each day and this place is far from any settlement and completely out of view, thus some cars happened to be robbed regularly (and even recently) during the night. Parks guards may instruct you not to let the car there overnight. Strbské pleso parking places are better secured.

The marked trails in the High Tatras are closed from 1st of November to the 15th of June!

Krivan 2494mMagnificent view by Barbon


More informations for wildlife conservation or safety and about the National Park at TANAP-Tatransky Narodny Park or at Bystrá page!

Adult poisonous mushroomPicture by ludmilienka

It is notable, that there are some limits due to the presence of the National Park. See map at www.svts.sk! White areas (on Slovak side) bordered by magenta dashed line are areas where there are forbidden all mountaineering activities! (Hiking trails are legal from the 1st of June to the 31st of October every year.) So it is forbidden to climb or downhill Krivan on skies in winter! It is important to note, that it is legal to climb Rameno Krivana (2395m) from Nefcerka valley in winter from the 21st of December till the 20th of March with approach via Furkotské sedlo (2277m).

When To Climb

Krivan (2495 m) from Bystre sedlo (2334 m)Picture taken by Tomas Kristofory

Krivaň is climbable in all times of the year when the routes are open. If you go in winter you need an allowance from TANAP that you are allowed to go in or you need a mountain guide!

It's very beautiful unforgetable in summer or autumn but the crowd could be disturbing...in winter you might need special gear such as ropes, crampons, etc.

Camping

No camping allowed on the mountain for tourists as you cannot put up a tent in the National Park!

There is a camp site and many hotels at Strbské pleso (1355m), the last stop of the railway in the High Tatra! There is no camp at Tri studnicky (1140m) just a parking place! Parking place at Tri studnicki is not guarded after 18 p.m. and is far from any settlement.

Mountain Conditions



I have no informations about web cams on the peak! There is no weather station on the summit or on the way to the summit!

For current conditions go to www.vysoketatry.com!


Telephone numbers in case of emergency:

Red Cross in High Tatras: 155
Mountain Rescue Team: 18300
Mountain Helicopter service: 18155


The Helicopter service in the High Tatras often makes flights to controll the area!

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.