Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18373°N / 20.08781°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7972 ft / 2430 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Intro

Niznie Rysy, Male Rysy, Denesspitze, Denes-csucs,”Low Rysy” 2430 Poland’s third highest summit, beatiful peak in Morskie Oko lake surrounding – the most impressive high mountain area of Polish Tatras. Tooltip for IE: Niznie Rysy From the left : Vysoka(2560), Rysy(2503) and Niznie Rysy(2430) Though the name of the peak may sound that it is the lower summit of Rysy peak, it is not so. Niznie Rysy forms an impressive, separate, prominent massif in the close nieghbourhood of Rysy. Staying quite easy to climb ,the summit doesn’t attract special attention of many tourists or climbers when we compare its popularity with usually overcrowded throughout whole summer season nearby Rysy. One of the most impressive view of Nizne Rysy peak one can admire from shores of Morskie Oko lake, there can be seen an imposing beatiful 650 m high north-western face which stays a real challenge for alpine climbers. It was conquered first in 1919 ,in winter after many unsuccessfull attempts in 1947. The prominent looking peak of Nizne Rysy(2430) overhelms higher Rysy(2503) situated just slightly behind when observing it from Morskie Oko and that’s why lots of visitors of the area are very often confused about the view usually wrongly taking Niznie Rysy as Rysy – the highest peak of Poland. Wonderful summit panorama, great ski-alp area for advanced ones. German and Hungarian names of the peak commemorate Franz Denes – great figure of 19th century’s history of Tatra exploration and popularization. First documented ascent : 18.VII.1905 – Janusz Chmielowski, Adam Kroebl and guide Jakub Bachleda but it’s rather sure that the summit was visited earlier (huntsmen ? treasure finders ?) First winter ascent : 6.II.1914 – Jozef Lesiecki, Jozef Oppenheim, Mariusz Zaruski and Stanislaw Zdyb.

Niznie Rysy (2430)

Niznie Rysy(left) and...Niznie Rysy(left) and Rysy from Kazalnica
Niznie Rysy is the first peak in the prominent side ridge going from Rysy peak to the north which separates Rybiego Potoku valley from Belovodska valley (with its side branches of Ceska and Spadova valleys). The peak is the highest culmination between Rysy(2503) and Zabi Szczyt Wyzni(2259). It sends towards east short ridge dividing the highest section of Ceska valley into two branches and ended with crag of Ceska Veza(2236). The summit ridge of Niznie Rysy is formed by four crags, the third one when counting from north is the highest summit – 2430 meters asl. It lies exactly on the Polish-Slovak borderline. The last, domy culmination in the northern ridge straightoforward above Ciezka Przelaczka Pass(ca.2205) (dividing massifs of Niznie Rysy and Zabi Wyzni) is Kopa Spadowa(2250) – popular alpine climbing area. The second lower summit (2405) when going from the north side sends towards west huge rocky rib with famous spiry crags of Tomkowe Igly, falling in the lower section impressive cliff to Czarny Staw Pod Rysami (Black Lake). The special curiosity of Niznie Rysy and the whole granite part of Tatra Mountains is Tomkowa Jaskinia - a cave nearby under the main summit.

Getting There

First of all You have to get to Zakopane town on Polish side of Tatra Mountains – very good communication(bus, train) links with Cracow City and the rest of Poland. The next target is to get to Morskie Oko lake. Morskie Oko lake can be reached by many variations of hiking routes on the polish side side of Tatra Mountains. Tourists staying in Zakopane usually take one of hundreds of minibuses or buses going in this direction. The drive ends 2 km after the Polish-Slovak border crossing in Lysa Polana on Palenica Bialczanska meadow transformed nowadays into a giant parking place (horribly crowded during summer season). After that You enter National Park gate and have 9 km nice walk-up through the forests of Bialki and Rybiego Potoku valleys before You reach one of the greatest natural treasures of Poland , the most beatiful and the greatest lake of Tatra Mountians - Morskie Oko. In the summer season when the weather looks stable it is possible to climb Niznie Rysy (just like Rysy) even from Zakopane (Zakopane - Palenica by bus) starting very early in the morning of course ! Zakopane There are numerous bus and train connections between Zakopane and Cracow City(100 km), where the nearest inernational airport is located. Cracow Airport PKS Cracow – Zakopane bus departures PKP - Polish Railways connection search PKS Zakopane - buses

Routes Overwiev

Besides alpine routes there are a few non-marked tourist routes reaching the summit of Niznie Rysy. Definetely the most popular is the easiest one leading from Polish side (south-west). The long, first stage of the route goes altogether with red marked trail going to Rysy ,the second and final stage is just a scree walk-up which branches off left to the the marked trail just before the characteristic, prominent rocky perch leading to Rysy. “Zajezdnia Szatana” (Satan’s Depot) route (topo)

Niznie Rysy area - Map

Tooltip for IE: Niznie Rysy map Tatry Wysokie (High Tatra) map, in scale 1:25 000, description in 6 languages, ISBN 83-87873-26-8, available in all shops and book stores in Zakopane . Here you can check the net version Tatra Maps (English version)

Red Tape

It is Tatra National Park (TPN) area ,watch out for alpine climbing and hiking restrictions. Hiking is allowed only on marked routes. Stay always respectful to mountain nature ! There are fees for the entry to Polish Tatra National Park (TPN) ,normal ticket costs about 3 zlotys (0,7 Euro). In Slovakian TANAP there are no fees. TPN - Polish Tatra National Park TANAP - Slovak Tatra National Park
Niznie Rysy and Rysy taken...Niznie Rysy(left) and Rysy from Morskie Oko lake area

When To Climb

You can climb/hike all year round. Theoretically the best weather conditions: late August – October June/July frequent t-storms. In winter usually serious avalanche danger .(don't forget to check : TOPR - Avalanche Forecast ) Ski Touring season (when there is no avalanche danger): usually from March till end of May.

Mountain Conditions

Severe and changeable high mountain climate ,be always prepared for sudden weather breakdowns. Choose the route after serious consideration of your mountain experience level! Tatra Mountain Volunteer Rescue (Poland) Rescue Phone Number: (+48) 601 100 300 Horska Sluzba - Tatra Mountain Rescue (Slovakia) Rescue Phone Number: 18 300 TOPR - Avalanche Forecast

Camping

Morskie Oko Chalet Morskie Oko Chalet Morskie Oko chalet(1410)situated beatifully on the morene of the greatest post-glacial Tatra mountain lake - Morskie Oko - The Lake Eye Of The Sea. Behind the main building there is a second hut of older chalet where you can also find places for comfortable sleep. Prices from 32 to 42 zlotys per night. 3,5 - 4 h to Niznie Rysy summit. In summer months of July and August there is a cheaper alternative especially for those who love camping. About 2 km down the road from the lake right nearby Wlosienica meadow (old parking place with characteristic building of fast food bar) one will find PZA (Polish Alpinism Association) Base Camp Field on Szalasiska meadow.
In 2004 season 15 zlotys (3,5 Euro) per night. Lots of accomodation possibilites in Zakopane's surroundings and on Slovak side. Camping in both Polish and Slovakian Tatra National Park is strictly forbidden (besides a few special prepared places).
Tomkowa Dream     Morning...Before sunrise...

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
yatsek

yatsek - Dec 19, 2008 10:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Pic by mistake here

http://www.summitpost.org/image/195778/154987/arriel-seen-from-the-lakes-of-palas.html

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Dec 20, 2008 5:04 pm - Hasn't voted

thanks

for your perceptiveness ! Things have been corrected:) Tomek

yatsek

yatsek - Dec 21, 2008 6:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: thanks

No problem. But unfortunately the route, i.e. Zajezdnia link doesn't work any more. Jacek

Viewing: 1-3 of 3



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.