Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.81870°N / 72.1379°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1940 ft / 591 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview- The North And Middle Peak


Gap Mountain is a family favorite destination in New Hampshire Monadnock region. The mountain actually consist of three different summits, the North Middle and the South. This section will consist of just the North and the Middle. Gap Mountain actully got its name from the gap that separates The Middle Peak from the South Peak.


Both of these subpeaks have semi-360 degree views on open summits of the Monadnock Region and both of these summits can be reached on the same Gap Mountain Trail. The views from the summit are abosolutely amazing of Mt. Monadnock. On clear days both peaks offer postcard views of the much larger Mt. Monadnock. The view off to the east and south are not too shabby either. The Wapack Range to the east clearly stands out to the east, while the distant Green Mountains in Vermont stand out in the west. Out of the two summits and Middle peak has the better views, but the north summit is not to be missed either.

These two subpeaks of Gap Mountain can be reached Gap Mountain Trail. The bulk of the trail is class 1, but there is one scramble that comes close to class 2. The trail which starts out moderately up what looks like forest that as only been there for the past 50 years. The trail then steepens up when it hit the ridge climbing two scramble before reaching the summit.

Gap Mountain-South Peak


South Peak is totally different from the other two. This peak is trail less with only a eroded footpath from the white blazed Gap Mountain trail just before the hardest scramble of the Gap Mountain Trail. Use caution if you are attempting to summit the south peak because the woods to this summit are very thick and both a great sense of direction as well as good route finding skills are necessary .

South Peak's views are very limited compared to the other summits. There view of Mt. Monadnock from this summit and a decent ledge view east towards North Pack Monadnock but that is about it. The summit is marked by a larger cairn that is completely wooded.

Getting There


VIA GAP MOUNTAIN WHITE TRAIL FROM ROUTE 12: Take Route 12 to Gap Mountain Road (left heading from Keene and a right if heading from Massachusetts). This road is roughly right on the Troy-Fitzwilliam town line. Take Gap Mountain Road past Upper Gap Mountain road to the trailhead parking area on your left. Take the yellow trail on your left.

Note: Older books have this trail on private property and continuing to walk down Gap Mountain Road. I didn't see any "No Trespassing Signs" but from what I read on a website this is forbidden. I did think it was a little strange walking on private property to a trailhead. Follow the yellow trail, not the guide book!

Red Tape


Park in the designated parking area and follow the yellow trail.

When To Climb


The parking area is only maintained for summer use. More than likely it will be blocked off in winter. Other than the parking. This mountain can be summited all year round.

Camping


There is little need to camp on the summit of Gap Mountain it is only one mile from the base to the top. I didn't see any "Camping is Prohibited" but I would advise against. However if you interested in outdoor camping in the Monadnock State Park check this camping website out.

Mountain Conditions


Here are some websites that will provided you more information on conditions on Gap Mountain. Focus on all of the information for the lower mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions


Weather Conditions


This is the best link to weather near Gap Mountain.

Weather in Nearby Jaffery

Link to More Gap Mountain Information


Here is good link to more information about Gap Mountain .

Summit Picture Log


Post all hero pictures here!


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks