Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.77900°N / 83.963°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4280 ft / 1305 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Coosa Bald is located just North of Dahlonega in Vogel State Park. It is one of the 4000 footers in Georgia. It is reached as a side trail when hiking the Coosa Backcountry Trail out of Vogel State Park. It is the highest elevation reached on the trail, unless you take another side trip up to Blood Mountain at 4461 ft. There are impressive views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. On a clear day you can see Red Top Mountain and Kennesaw mountain, located just outside Atlanta. It will snow a few inches up here even when there is nothing in the valleys below. It is quite beautiful with snow.

The Coosa Backcountry loop forms a long day hike of 12.7 miles plus an extra 0.5 miles to get to Coosa Bald. Much of the effort is spent going up and down these mountains between 3000 and 4000 feet. It will take anywhere from 5.5 to 7 hours, depending on how many breaks and pictures you take. This loop provides a great hike as well as great training because of all the elevation change. The loop is a Class 2 trail that is moderate to strenuous at times. Beware your knees.

Getting There


Travel North out of Dahlonega and get to Vogel State Park on US Hwy 19/129. There is a State Park Parking fee at the large parking lot near the ranger station. Walk up the road a couple hundred yards and on the right will be the start of the trails.

Red Tape


Parking fee required at all Georgia State Parks.

When To Climb


Any time of year. In winter, it can snow and get quite cold. I've been in the parking lot when it was 8 degrees F outside.

During the months of October to May, there may be hunting season. Just beware and don't act like a deer.

The trails from Fall to Spring can be hard to follow at times because of all the leaves. They have regular trail markers which you should pay attention to. Don't just follow a worn path because there are some that take you nowhere and you may be off trail for a while. I believe these are used by the hunters. The Coosa Backcountry Trail is blazed yellow.

Camping


There are several cabins and campsites at the State Park headquarters. There are also backcountry campsites at Locust State Gap, Calf Stomp Gap, Coosa Bald, and Blood Mountain.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Mike N

Mike N - Nov 20, 2005 9:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you. I was in the process of looking this up.

desainme

desainme - Nov 20, 2005 9:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Paste into latutude box: 34.7790
Longitude box: -83.963

Keep the negative.

Mike N

Mike N - Nov 20, 2005 9:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you. I was in the process of looking this up.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3