Pyramid Peak (Great Basin NP)

Pyramid Peak (Great Basin NP)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.94800°N / 114.294°W
Additional Information County: White Pine
Additional Information Elevation: 11926 ft / 3635 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyramid Peak is located in Great Basin National Park in east-central Nevada. The most common approach begins at the Baker Creek trailheads, located at the end of Baker Creek Road, a five-mile well-graded gravel road. The road is generally quite passable with 2WD and low clearance. Or approaches can also be made via the Johnson Lake trail, which is located at the end of Snake Creek Road. High-clearance and 4WD are recommended. These roads will close due to snow.

Reaching the summit of Pyramid Peak involves a class 2 scramble up relatively solid talus and boulders. You are rewarded with amazing views of Wheeler and Jeff Davis Peaks, as well as the entire spine of the South Snake Range. There are no trails to the summit of Pyramid Peak, although most of the approach is on a maintained trail.

Getting There

You can reach either side of Pyramid Peak by maintained trails, either the Baker Lake Trail (if ascending from the Baker Lake-Johnson Lake cut-off trail) or by the South Fork Baker Creek Trail. You'll follow the South Fork of Baker Creek and reach a junction between Timber Creek and Johnson Creek. You'll follow the trail towards Johnson Lake. Once you ascend the Snake Creek Ridge, it is a CROSS-COUNTRY route to the summit of Pyramid Peak. Only continue if you are comfortable with cross-country routefinding with no trail. That said, it is a relatively straight-forward walk up the ridge. Likewise, there is a CROSS-COUNTRY route from the saddle between Baker and Johnson Lakes. Consult a topographic map. The route is straight -forward, in the summer, if you are comfortable navigating by a topographic map.

Red Tape

Please sign in at the trailhead to apprise National Park Service Rangers of your plans and since your vehicle will be parked at the trailhead. No fee or permit is required for day-hiking. Great Basin Nat'l Park encourges registration for overnight backcountry trips within the park. There is NO FEE. This permit tracks backcountry use and is for your safety. Please call Great Basin National Park at (775) 234-7331 for the latest road and weather conditions.

When To Climb

Most people climb Pyramid Peak between June and October, depending on the snow conditions. In the last year, there have been REMARKABLE avalanches off almost every face of Pyamid Peak causing extensive damage to the surrounding forests trails, including the destruction of an historic cabin. Both Baker Creek and Snake Creek Roads will close once snow persists. Exercise caution if persuing the summit outside of summer and call Great Basin Natl'l Park Headquarters at (775) 234- 7331 to get the latest road and weather conditions.

Camping

Backcounty camping is permitted in Great Basin National Park. The park encourages you to attain a FREE backcountry permit to document backcountry use and for your personal safety. Permits are available at both visitor centers. There is also a wonderful campground, only a mile and a half from the Baker Creek trailheads. It is called Baker Creek Campground. This is a rustic campground (no electricity or flush toilets). Treated water is available during the summer. It is generally open from Memorial Day unyil snow closes the Baker Creek Road. Camping is $12 per site, when the water is turned on. When the water is turned off, camping is $6 per site. Please call Great Basin National Park at (775) 234-7331 for the latest road and weather conditions.

Mountain Conditions

There are no web-cams to apprise you of current conditions. The telephone number for Great Basin National Park, where Pyramid Peak is located, is (775) 234-7331. Call this number for the latest road, weather, and campground information.

Miscellaneous Info