Bald Mountain, Camden

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.22960°N / 69.1365°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1280 ft / 390 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Bald Mountain (not to be confused with Bald Rock Mountain in Camden Hills State Park ) is classic hiking/scrambling destination in the Camden Hills of Maine. Though the mountain is only 1280 ft in elevation, the route up to the summit is home to world class panoramas, class 2 scrambling and hiking and a top that is devoid of trees. This mountain is turly one of those mountain in which elevation doesn't always determine the views.

This mountain often rivals many of the nearby mountain of Acadia National Park (roughly two hours to the east). The reason for this is beacuse like Cadallic Mountain in Acadia National Park, Bald Mountain has a treeless top, many amazing mountain and nearby ocean views, and a number of good scrambling areas.

This mountain is popular with climbers in summer and fall, due its great views. However with crampons and caution at the dropoffs and scrambles this trail in winter is virtually abandoned. The trail to the summit is part of the Georges Highland Path and rises 700 feet in 9 miles (most of this on the two major class 2 scrambles). Some of the locals may refers this as the "Bald Mountain Trail".

Getting There


VIA BARNESTOWN RD: Take Barnstown from the center of Camden (10 miles) west roughly 1 mile past the Camden Ski Bowl. The trailhead to Bald Mountain will be on the right right at the height of land between Ragged and Bald Mountains.

Red Tape


No fees on the trailhead. However overnight parking is prohibited.

For more information on the rules of this mountain click here.

When To Climb


You can climb this mountain year round but use caution especially in very wet or winter conditions. The Loop Trail to summit has plenty of steep dropoffs and is clearly class 2 (there is even a sign stating caution). The other section of trail isn't much easier, with the trail to the summit being home to steep, open class 2 terrain.

Weather Conditions


To find out the weather conditions in nearby Camden, Maine click here. .

If you plan on tackling this mountain in winter you might want to look at this website of the Camden Snow Bowl across the street. The ski area is located on Ragged Mountain, which is the mountain next door. It will give you an idea about possible mountain conditions on Bald Mountain.

Camping


Camping is not permitted.

Mountain Conditions


For for information on Bald Mountain or neighboring Ragged Mountain go to Georges River Land Trust or Coastal Mountain Land Trust .

Summit Picture Log


Post all hero/ personal pictures here.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.