Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.92460°N / 120.2654°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8080 ft / 2463 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


I know lots of Freds, including Mr. Beckey, and I can tell you this peak is named for none of them. So who is this mysterious Fred and should you be concerned? You should be very concerned--concerned that I might lull you into somniferous surfing. Yes, it's another Klenke page for an obscure piece of nowhere in the Pasayten.

The actual former Fred for which this peak is named is probably Fred Vanderpool (1900-1972). This is plausible given Dr. John Roper's astute observation that there is a Van Peak (7665F, 265P) just northwest of Freds. For more information concerning the name, see below.

Freds Mountain isn't really a piece of nowhere. It's a piece of somewhere west of Amos & Andrew peaks in the northeast part of the Pasayten Wilderness. The mountain is actually a long divide trending NNW from higher Peepsight Mountain. The divide is between Glory Creek on the east and the upper reaches of the Ashnola River on the west. The end of the divide features Van Peak--a nice promontory summit with views down the Ashnola drainage and out to Sheep Mountain to the northwest.

Freds' west side is largely uninteresting (forest lower down transitioning to scrub evergreens all the way to the ridge crest). These evergreens really hampered my efficient progress along the crest. The east side has more cliffy cirques. Two quaint lakes reside on the mountain's flanks: Glory Lake at the head of Glory Creek and Freds Mountain Lake in the cirque northwest of the main summit. The tiny stream above the latter was my first water source after roughly five hours of being dry. Ah, refreshing it was!

At 8,080+ ft, Freds ranks as the 35th-highest summit in the Pasayten Wilderness and is roughly 164th-highest in the state. The first ascent was probably not done by a guy named Fred. Furthermore, these living Freds have not climbed Freds: Fred Beckey, Fred Spicker, Fred Beavon, Fred Savage, Fred Couples, Fred Funk, Fred Flintstone, Freddie the Freeloader, and Right Said Fred. Nor these dead Freds: Fred Astaire, Fred MacMurray, Freddie Mercury, Frederick Wernstedt, and Frederick the Great. Lastly, Freddie Mac does not own stock in this mountain and you can't buy a piece of it at Frederick's of Hollywood and you couldn't do so at Frederick & Nelson's back in the day.

Information from Harry Majors
"This is a post-Lage Wernstedt name, that first appears on the 1937 map of Chelan National Forest, but not on the 1935 or any earlier maps, nor on any of Lage Wernstedt's maps. The name thus came into being within 1935-1937.
"I suspect that the name probably honors, not Lage's son Fred, but instead local Winthrop resident and Forest Service employee Fred C. Vanderpool (1900-1972).
"The term is briefly mentioned in: Mary Kenady, 'Preliminary Report | Pasayten Wilderness History Report,' (1980 typescript, unpaginated), Appendix: 'People, places, dates in Pasayten history.'
"'Fred's Lake: may have been named for Fred Vanderpool [this in incorrect] (Also Fred's Mtn.?)'
"A cursory look through 'The Methow Valley Journal' (Winthrop) for 1912-1942 indicates that Fred Vanderpool served as Forest Service guard (patrolman), stationed at Dollar Watch Pass during the 1923 and 1924 summer seasons.
"This constitutes only a brief glimpse into the Pasayten service of Fred Vanderpool. During later years [after 1924], I would suspect that Fred Vanderpool may have been stationed in the Freds Mtn. and Andrew Pass area.
"Fred Vanderpool lies buried at the Sullivan Cemetery at Winthrop, as does Lage Wernstedt's favorite packer Alfred M. Carreau (1885-1943)."

Getting There


Can you get to Freds place if you call someone named Fred for directions? Maybe. But don't bother with any of the dead Freds unless you've got a weegie board. Frankly (or should that be Fredly?), your best bet is right here with me even if my middle name aint Fred.

Approach from Andrews Creek
You basically want to follow the Andrews Creek approach to Andrew Peak if coming from the south (from Winthrop). You could also approach from Canada using the Wall Creek Route over Border Ridge (see the Cathedral Peak page). Note that crossing the International Border here isn't really legal but I'm sure many folks do it. Beware of the Border Patrol that supposedly patrols the wilderness.

To get to the Andrews Creek Trailhead drive 23.5 miles north out of Winthrop on the Chewuch River Road. The trail starts at 3,050 ft. Andrews Creek Campground is here.

Hike the trail for 12 miles to 6,680+ ft Andrew Pass, which is less than a mile northeast of Andrew Peak. A trail (abandoned?) cuts back to the southwest to go around the south side of Andrew Peak to reach the 7,180+ ft pass between Andrew and Peepsight Mountain. This trail wanders up and down for two miles to tiny Rock Lake (7,140 ft) and possible camping. In a half-mile more reach the pass and the funky fault. Passing through this area last year I saw no signs of the trail. It has definitely been abandoned and I would bet the lower, forested parts are full of windfall. Note that a mile or more of this trail can be cut-off if you leave the Andrews Creek Trail a mile before Andrew Pass. Cross west over Andrews Creek and diagonal up and right until the trail is met, if you can find it. It's probably an old cut through lodgepole pines (but I cannot guarantee that).

Routes up Freds
Getting over to then up to the Freds Mountain ridgeline should not be too difficult. The east side of the mountain above Glory Creek is cliffy but there are several breaks. As long as you can see them you can aim for them. A proven route, one which will take you close to Peepsight Mountain's summit, is to continue on the rough trail south to Crazy Man Pass. Turn right (west) and hike up to the divide on Peepsight's north shoulder. From here it is a simple ridge traverse out to Freds with only minor scramble points.

Route from Spanish Creek
It is possible to get to Freds Mountain by continuing north from Andrew Pass and going around Amos Peak's north side. There is a trail down Spanish Creek but it is abandoned (heavily windfallen with lodgepole pines). The Glory Creek Trail (also abandoned) junctions off of the Spanish Creek Trail (right next to the creek in case you can't find it; there is an old sign). The lower sections of Glory Creek and Spanish Creek were burned years back. This has left a noticeable patchwork of smaller lodgepole pines (see THIS PICTURE). These smaller trees can be difficult to hike through. But, barring those annoyances, Freds Mountain would be a simple climb via its north slope.

Approach from Lake Creek


Approach from Lake Creek
It would be easy to climb Freds Mountain via its west slope. The Lake Creek Trail can take you to the head of the Ashnola River on the west side of Freds in about 12 miles.

Drive the same approach as per Andrews Creek. At 21 miles from Winthrop go left up Lake Creek to the trailhead at 3,160 ft. Hike the trail northwestward. In 4 miles pass Black Lake. In 10.5 miles reach Fawn Lake on the 6,200-ft divide between Lake Creek and Spotted Creek. The trail continues down Spotted Creek to a junction with the Ashnola River Trail in 12 miles (5,800 ft). Freds' main summit is a simple hike northeastward over 1.5 cross-country miles.

Red Tape


A Trail Park Pass is required at Andrews Creek Trailhead. At the trailhead you are asked to fill-out a wilderness permit. I don't know for sure about the Lake Creek Trailhead but I imagine a pass is required there too.

The only red tape for the Canadian approach is the invisible red tape that is stretched endlessly along the International Border.

When To Climb


As long as you could get to the Andrews Creek Trailhead (3,000 ft) or the Lake Creek Trailhead (3,100 ft), I suppose you could climb Freds at any time of year. It will be a long ski or snowshoe trek in there. Early summer would be ideal for the enjoyment of wildflowers and green grass. But lingering snow could hide these, so let's say July is the best timeframe. In late summer streams could be dry. I remember being out of water for nearly my entire high Amos-Andrew-Peepsight-Freds-Van traverse in July.

Camping


Rock Lake on south side of Andrew Peak or at Andrew Pass (limited water availability); at the Andrews-Peepsight saddle; at Glory Lake; at Freds Mountain Lake. There is a campsite at the Glory Creek-Spanish Creek confluence on the north side of the creek opposite the Glory Creek trail junction. I bivied at this junction right on the trail (it was the only open, flat spot) and called it "Conquistador Camp" (Spanish-Glory; get it? This after conquering six peaks that day). For the Lake Creek approach I suppose good camping could be found at Fawn Lake.

Mountain Conditions


Localized Forecast