Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.32420°N / 72.9619°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2850 ft / 869 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Baker Peak in Vermont is in the Big Branch Wilderness Area in the Green Mountain National Forest. It is along the Appalachian/Long Trail about 2 miles north of Griffith Lake. The closest town and access is through Danby. Seeing the view from Baker Peak is definitely a highlight when you are hiking along the AT/LT in southern Vermont. And if you visit in the fall you have the added bonus of seeing some beautiful fall foliage!

There are several different ways to hike to the top...

Getting There

Drive about 2 and a half miles south of Danby on Route 7. Turn onto an unmarked but paved road on the left that is next to a small cemetery. Drive 1/2 mile on this road to an open field with a parking lot. Look for a Green Mountain National Forest sign for the Lake Trail. The Lake Trail is marked by blue blazes; follow it for about 2 miles then turn left on the Baker Peak Trail. From here it is about one more mile up to the Peak for a total mileage of 3 miles and elevation gained of about 2,200'. The last part of the trail you are basically hiking and scrambling a little up exposed slabs of white rock. It's not so steep that it's a technical climb or anything, but you will probably need to use your hands. From the summit incredible views unfold of the surrounding patchwork landscape of Vermont.

The 6 mile round trip will take most people about 5 hours.

An alternate approach is off of Forest Road 10. From Danby , turn east onto Brooklyn Road (Forest Road 10). Follow this road for 6.9 miles east, pass the Appalachian/Long Trail crossing, and turn right onto Forest Road 30. At the end of the road is the trailhead (elevation about 1710'). From here you can hike up to Baker Peak as part of an 11 mile round-trip hike starting on Corridor 7 then linking to the AT/LT then returning on the Old Job Trail. This is called the Old Job South Loop and has an elevation gain of about 1,100'. Click here for more info on this trail.


Red Tape

Follow Leave No Trace ethics when visiting this area. Mountain bikes, horses, and motorized vehicles are not allowed.

When To Climb

This hike is mostly in a beautiful forest of mixed hardwoods and pine... And in the fall the colors of the trees are spectacular!

Trails in this area can be quite muddy in April and May.

Camping

There are two nearby shelters for backpackers, one is the Lost Pond Shelter (elevation 2040', about 2.5 miles north from the peak) and the other is the Griffith Lake Shelter (elevation 2400', about 2 miles south from the peak). If you stay at the Griffith Lake Shelter a $5.00 per person/night fee, paid to the Green Mountain Club Caretaker, helps maintain the shelter and nearby trails.

Info on general forest camping

Info on camping in developed campgrounds


Mountain Conditions

Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests
231 North Main Street
Rutland, VT 05701
802-747-6700

Manchester Ranger District
Routes 11 and 30
RR #1, Box 1940
Manchester Center, VT 05255
802-362-2307

Green Mountain National Forest Website

Regional Weather Forecast

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

royswkr - Apr 11, 2006 11:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Which is the real Baker Peak?

Note that Green Mountain Club/Long Trail Guide thinks that Baker Peak is a different place than where the USGS/Board of Geographic Names thinks it is, and neither is the highest point of the mountain. The Board of Geographic Names http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=120:3:14536172253576731030::NO::P3_FID:1460543 gives the coordinates of Baker Peak as 431927N 0725741W and that is where it is shown on the USGS map at elevation 864+ meters. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.3242402&LON=-72.9614917&datum=NAD83&u=5 Note that the Long Trail does not actually pass over this peak - the map is wrong. What the Long Trail Guide calls Baker Peak (the gorgeous view ledges with one of the best 100-yard sections of the Long Trail) is actually a westerly spur of elevation 846+ meters. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4798870&e=665093&size=s&u=5&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 If you don't have a GPS to confirm this, note that from the highest point of the ledges you can see higher ground not far to the E (the 864m bump) while if you were actually on the 864m bump there would be no higher ground there. Also the descent from the highest ledge is much less than the 18 m (60 feet) you would have from 864. But near the Long Trail about .3 miles N is a knoll higher than either one, about 870+ meters. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4799342&e=665393&size=s&u=5&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 Once again the USGS map is in error and the trail circles this bump rather than passing over it, but both this and the 864 bump are easy bushwhacks for peakbaggers. Which is the true summit? I suppose the Board of Geographic Names is the official authority on names so the 864 bump is the true Baker Peak unless they amend their database. The ledges where the trail goes are the only one of the 3 worth visiting for the casual hiker but they are not really a summit - perhaps they should be called Baker Ledges. As for the actual highest point - nothing!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1