Arenig Fawr ( UNDER EDIT...! )

Arenig Fawr ( UNDER EDIT...! )

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 52.91660°N / 3.7459°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2802 ft / 854 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview:-

Arenig Fawr is one of the 800m+ summits of Wales
It is also one of the highest mountains in Wales. It has a certain grandeur about it and the views from its summit may be confidently recommended.

Arenig Fawr the Full RidgeThe complete Ridge showing off the cliffs that dominate Llyn Arenig Fawr and the two tops that make the summit



























George Borrow wrote of it:-
'----something majestic in its huge bulk. Of all the hills I saw in Wales none made a greater impression upon me.'


The crest of this mountain is named Moel yr Eglwys ( The Hill of the Church ) and is surmounted by an Ordnance Survey trig point and a memorial plaque commemorating the American crew of a Flying Fortress who died when there plane crashed into the mountain in the Second World War.

Because of its isolated position and its height of 854 metres, 2800 feet it ranks as the 19th highest mountain in Wales - the mountain commands a panoramic view across a vastness of mountain, lake and barron moorland. From this point can be seen most of the peaks in the Snowdonia National Park stretching across a wide arc from the Arans to the sea off the north Wales coast line. The view encompasses Cader Idris, the Rhinogs and the main ridges of Snowdonias National Park dominated by of course Snowdon itself. Looking back towards England in an eastern view the fine range of The Berwyn mountains stands out showing all its main tops.

Being such a large and isolated mountain Arenig Fawr has everything to make a great day out. The mountain has various routes up which can be decided from varous points. Arenig Fawr is the jewel in the crown of a range known as The Arenigs which consist of three main summits. These being the summits of Arenig Fawr, Arenig Fach and Moel Lyfnant. Arenig Fach at 689metres is a small and rarely climbed. The summit of Arenig Fach does support an Ordnance Survey trig point which can be of interest to some hill walkers. Moel Lyfnant at 751metres is a different matter. When seen from the south it has shape, dominance and has the status of being a Marilyn. Moel Lyfnant also has a joining ridge onto Arenig Fawr's southern end so can get combined in a good days trek. Arenig Fach sadly is way across to the north on the other side of the A4212 Bala to Trawsfynydd road. Having no connecting ridges with Arenig Fawr or Moel Llyfnant it therefore gets missed out.
Arenig Fawr PeaksArenig Fawrs two summit tops seen across Llyn Tegid


The picture to the left was done on full digital zoom so sadly it is not to clear but shows the size. A better shot will be added soon.
The main top is the large rounded one to the right called Moel yr Eglwys when the the more shapely one to the left is just known as the South top.
The Thumbnail Pictures below are the neighbouring summits

The thumbs below are as follows
Left is the main summit top Moel yr Eglwys seen from the South Top
Right is the South Top seen from Moel yr Eglwys



Arenig Fawr and Moel LyfnantSnow covered Moel Lyfnant left and Arenig Fawr right from the Aran ridge
The picture above is of the summits Arenig Fawr to the right and Moel Lyfnant to the left. These are seen from the great ridge of Aran Fawddwy on a very cold January day in 2005. this picture shows the lovely shape of these neighbouring summits that sit together in harmony with each other.

Getting There:-

The mountain is relatively easy to find also when near by it is that big a massif it cannot be missed.
Right here we go...!
From Birmingham / Midlands region. England follow the M6 Motorway northbound to junction 10a then take the M54 Motorway signposted Telford and North Wales. The motorway from Telford now continues as the A5. Follow the main A5 road past the town Shrewsbury and Oswestry in England. Then continue in wales on the A5 past Llangollen and Corwen. From here a junction on the left gives the A494 to a town called Bala. From Bala just before the town centre there is a cross roads. Turn right here signposted Trawsfynydd and follow the A4212 to Llyn Celyn. Whilst driving along side Llyn Celyn Arenig Fawr's massif stands out proud. Just passed Llyn Celyn there is a small minor road on the left hand side sighnposted Arenig. Take this road back in an easterly direction and when you come to a track and a gate on the right hand side with a big electricity transmission tower, park here and that is the start of the best route up...!

From Manchester M6 area North. England follow the M6 Motorway, M60 Motorway and other main roads signpsots for the M56 Motorway towards Chester. Take the Chester ring road south and there will be signposts for the town of Wrexham. This is the A483 road that takes you past Wrexham then has Llangollen A5 signposted and this route can be picked up from the above as in Llangollen, Corwen and Bala.
I Hope that is not to complicated...?
Starting Point STREET-MAP link

When at this starting point follow the routes dotted out on the map below and have a great adventure investigating this stunning Welsh mountain.
Arenig Fawr main page Route MapRoute map for Arenig Fawr and Moel Lyfnant

The blue route is the one for the summit and tops of Arenig Fawr only when the red route is to include the summit of Moel Lyfnant.
Other starting points and routes can be gained off this map I put on the Moel Llyfnant SP-Page
Arenig Fawr and Moel Llyfnant routes

Red Tape and When to Climb:-

Keep to the given tracks and paths in the lower areas and all should be ok.
Free to roam is now available on the mountains. The signs below are what to look for.
The signs to look for are as follows:-
Open Access Land Left - Non Open Access Right


This summit can be accessed all year round.
Its great in the extreme snow or sun the main long route up via Llyn Arenig Fawr and the Castle Rocks has to be my favourite with some great views and scenery this route is brilliant. There are no technical scrambles on this summit so no matter what the weather is it is the Height and Isolation of this summit that makes it worth visiting.

Camping and Accomodation:-

Best places to camp are next to the dam on Llyn Arenig Fawr or even better on the mountains main summit. There is a mountain shelter hut near to the dam at Llyn Arenig Fawr. There are no limits to using this shelter just dont leave your rubbish there...!
Also respect the countryside when camping out. Again take your litter home and dont have fires.
Many local towns offer bed and breakfasts.
These being as follows:-
Bala
Trawsfynydd
Corwen
Llangollen
These traditional Welsh country towns all have great pubs and restaurants.

Mountain Conditions:-

Wales has many websites covering the mountains of Snowdonia. Just type in google or another search engine Snowdonia Uk Weather and there will be plenty of choices...!
My main weather site is the BBC 5-Day forecast site for Bala follow this link for Bala 5-Day weather forecast

I have covered this summit in lovely sunshine, extreme winter conditions, fog and low cloud. Good map reading skills along with use of compass and GPS are definate in the worst conditions.
Just be careful and prepare your route before you go.
Always inform a contact of your route and make routine calls and give them a call time to call you if you dont contact them.
This is a great way to check your safety on the mountains if mobile phone service is of course available...?