Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.20650°N / 69.8936°W
Additional Information County: Somerset
Additional Information Elevation: 2930 ft / 893 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Moxie Mountain in Caratunk Twp is SW of Moxie Pond, and should not be confused with Bald Mtn in Bald Mtn Twp which is SE of Moxie Pond and often called "Moxie Bald" to distinguish it from the many other Bald Mtns in Maine and elsewhere. The true Moxie (the only one in the US) has a wall of cliffs on its S Face which make it stand out from that direction, and a slide to the NE visible from logging roads S of Moxie Pond. The summit has rock outcrops with some views.

Broader area Topozone map
Photo Album (courtesy PapaBear)

There is a small radio installation on the summit but it is apparently tended by air as there is no obvious trail to the summit. Thus far all peakbagger ascents have been bushwhacks, the top is scrubby but not too bad.

Moxie is apparently just below the cutoff for the New England 500 Highest, but just squeaks on to the New England 50 Most Prominent. List of prominence finishers

Getting There

Use your favorite mapping program to reach Bingham ME on US Route 201. From there the route varies depending on trailhead. See the DeLorme Maine Atlas & Gazetteer for road approaches, the summit is at 30B4.

* nebushwacker climbed from Heald Ponds to the SE

* PeakMaster climbed from Deer Bog to the W (no campsite at this approach)

* PapaBear climbed from Big Dimmick Pond to the NE via the slide

* oncoman climbed from the NE but went down an overgrown trail to the W (so it was there!)

Red Tape

The mountain and approaches are owned by paper companies and logged for pulp. Thus far they have allowed public access without fees. Roads are maintained for logging purposes only and may not be suitable for travel in passenger cars, may not be plowed, and may not be repaired if there is no active logging.

When To Climb

It is usually climbed summer & fall, the approach roads may be unplowed and gated during mud season making a much longer approach walk. The peak itself can be climbed anytime.

Camping

Free camping is allowed at Maine Forest Service campsites, including 2 of 3 trailheads. See DeLorme Atlas for locations.