Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.78920°N / 72.2063°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1833 ft / 559 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



View of Mt. Monadnock from the signature vista on Little Mount Monadnock

Little Mt. Monadnock is one of many classic two-hour to half day journeys in the Monadnock Region. Though the summit views on this mountain are fair even on the best days. There a number of ledges (off trail) that have decent views as well as great vista of Mt. Monadnock and Gap Mountain from the intersection of the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail. The biggest appeal from this mountain is that the main route to the summit (Class 1: Little Mount Monadnock Trail) travels through a beautiful rhododendron field which has a state park name after it. This park is idea for winter use (rhododendron are geogeous snow covered) or on a clear July day when the rhododendron are in bloom.

The main route the, Little Mt. Monadnock Trail, is a class one trail that only contains some simple scrambles and some steeper section just before the intersection with the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail. The half mile of the journey travel through the rhododendron field while the second part climbs the bulk of the mountain. The trail can be reached from the Rhododendron State Park entrance.

Getting There


VIA LITTLE MONADNOCK MOUNTAIN TRAILHEAD (RHODODENDRON STATE PARK): From FItzwilliam take NH119 west tohrough the town center. Head almost a mile west to Rhododendron Road where you will want to take a right. Head down Rhododendren Road for about a mile and a half until you see sign for RHODODENDRON STATE PARK on your right.

For better instructions click on website.

Here is the state's direction to the park. This is best from the major highways.

Red Tape


No fees at the parking area when I was there in winter. However if there is a ranger in attendance (summer months) there is a three dollar fee.

When To Climb


This trail can be climbed at anytime. However snowshoes, yal-trak and/or crampons should be brought in winter.

Camping


There is no camping allowed in RHODODENDRON STATE PARK. However is camping allowed on various part of the Metacomet-Monadanock Trail. The hike itself is barely 3 miles so there is little need for overnight camping.

Mountain Conditions


For more information about the hike up Little Mount Monadnock click on this link.


Here are some websites that will provided you more information on conditions on Little Mount Monadnock. Focus on all of the information for the lower mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions



Weather Conditions


This is the best link to weather near Little Mount Monadnock.

Weather in Nearby Jaffery

Information on Rhododendron State Park



Here is the government's website on the state park. Much better information can be seen on this private page of Rhododendron State Park .

Summit Picture Log


Post all hero pictures here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks