Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.38600°N / 106.288°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11725 ft / 3574 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Taylor Hill is located one mile west of Chicago Ridge and 1 mile east of Vance's Cabin. Thus, Taylor Hill is a popular destination for those visiting Vance's Cabin. In addition, Taylor Hill offers ski descents to the north, south and west. The west face provides easy glade skiing. The south face offers more difficult glade skiing and the north face offers the most difficult glade skiing.

From the summit Mount Elbert, Mount Massive, Holy Cross Wilderness Area, Chicago Ridge and Ski Cooper Ski Area are visible.
Looking South from Taylor...
Looking south from Taylor Hill. Mounts Elbert and Massive are visible.

Getting There

Tennessee Pass Trailhead:

From I-70, take Exit 171 to US 24 south. Drive 24.4 miles to Tennessee Pass. From Leadville, take US 24 north from its intersection with CO 91 8.8 miles to Tennessee Pass. Park at the Ski Cooper Ski Area parking lot if only staying for the day. If you're staying overnight and not staying at Vance's Cabin, park on the west side of the road. If you're staying at Vance's Cabin, look for the designated parking area on the north side of Ski Cooper Ski Area's parking lot.

From the Vance's Cabin designated parking area, skin east up a nordic trail 0.6 miles. There will be a well-marked trail to the north. Cross Piney Creek and follow the north branch for 0.3 miles. Gain the saddle north of Elevation Point 10,963' to the northwest and continue climbing northeast. Blue diamonds mark the route. Continue north to a clearing. Vance's Cabin is to the west. To climb Taylor Hill, continue east to the summit.
Taylor Hill from Tennessee...
Taylor Hill from Tennessee Pass Trailhead

Red Tape

Parking your car in Ski Cooper Ski Area parking lot overnight could result in towing. Shorter access can be obtained from F.S. Road 731, but parking here is illegal.

Mountain Conditions

Lists of John