Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.96880°N / 72.0365°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2002 ft / 610 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



View of Skatutakee Mountain from the summit of Thumb Mtn..

Skatutakee Mountain
is a classic hike in the Monadnock Region. Though not as popular as some of the other climbs in the area, Skatutakee Mountain is still a family classic. The mountain features a 180 panorama to the east of the Wapack Range (North and Pack Monadnock), and Crotched Mountain from it's summit. It has a partial view toward Mt. Monadnock's north slope.

The mountain is connected by trails that form from the Harris Center, which is a conversation organization set to educate the public on the importance of conservation in the future. There are two different directions and three routes from which a hiker can reach the summit of Skatutakee.

The first the Cabot Trail is the steepest and most difficult. Though class one this trail has some steeper section and has 500 feet more in elevation gain than the other trail by the Harris Center.

The Harriskat Trail and the Thumbs Up-Thumbs Down Trails (both class 1) are at a much easier in grade to reach the summit of Skatutakee. The Harriskat Trail is a straight trail to the summit, while the Thumb Up-Thumbs Down trail take a detour to near the summit of Thumb Mountain. Thumb Mountain, which has amazing views to the south, can be reached by a side trail which begins with a small scramble then becomes a gradual to moderate hike to the summit. Often the latter is done as a loop hike.

Getting There


VIA THE HARRIS CENTER: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 2 miles down the road make a left on Hunts Pond Rd (sign marks the Harris Center). Make a left on Kings Highway. Parking will be just beyond the Harris Center, or (if you ask a Harris Center member) the Harris Center parking lot.

VIA THE CADOT TRAIL: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 2 miles down the road make a left on Hunts Pond Rd (sign marks the Harris Center). Make a left on Kings Highway. Take the Kings Highway past the Harris Center and make right on old Dublin Road. Take the old Dublin Road a mile and quarter where the trail is on the right.

Red Tape


Unless on an offseason weekday, parking at the side parking area away from the Harris Center, not the Harris center parking lot.

When To Climb


This mountain can be climbed at anytime.

Camping


There is no need to camp on this mountain because it is no more than a class 1 (3 mile hike). However if you are interested in camping in here contact the Harris Center for more details.

Mountain Conditions


Here are some websites that will provided you more information on conditions on Skatutakee Mtn. . Focus on all of the information for the lower mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions




Summit Picture Log


Post all here pictures here.

Weather Conditions


This is the best link to weather near Skatutakee Mtn.

Weather in Nearby Hancock



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks