Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.51300°N / 116.332°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6154 ft / 1876 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Avawatz Mountain is the highpoint of the Avawatz Mountains in San Bernardino County, California. The Avawatz Mountains are very prominent rising from the desert just north of the Interstate 15 Freeway near the town of Baker. Avawatz ranks #34 on the California Prominence list with 3,294 feet of prominence. Some of the west and south portion of this mountainous block is on the Fort Irwin National Training Center.

The Avawatz Mountains have been exploited by mining in the past, but there is no current activity on the mountain. Silver and other minerals were discovered here in the mid-nineteenth century. Today, there are a few mountain sheep that call these mountains home.

This peak is listed by the Desert Peaks Section of the Sierra Club as one of their approved hikes. With the always busy I-15 rushing people between Los Angeles and Las Vegas only a few miles away, these mountains offer solitude and a feeling of remoteness.

Getting There

The Desert Peaks Section of the Sierra Club lists 2 possible routes and approaches. I have directions from the east. Refer to their information for access from the north.

The most frequented access to these mountains is from the east because the restricted entry to Fort Irwin controls the access from the west. First you have to find the nice town of Baker. Baker is the home of the world’s tallest thermometer at 134 ft and is on I-15 about 57 miles northeast of Barstow or about 95 miles southwest of Las Vegas. California Hwy 127 heads north from Baker towards Death Valley.

Take Hwy 127 north for 19.1 miles from Baker. There are milepost markers along the highway, so pay attention once you pass the milepost 19 marker. You need to find a small road off the highway towards the west or your left. There is no sign here, it is just a rough gravel road heading west. I don’t think there are any other roads around, so if you see a way through the drainage ditch, that is the road.

Apparently by January 2016, the road to Mormon Spring and beyond has deteriorated significaly enough to be impassable by most vehicles even with high clearance and 4WD.  Refer to the Correcion and Additions page.


I think 2WD vehicles can make it off the road here and all the way to Old Mormon Spring. This road isn’t very good, so don’t take your wife’s BMW off of Hwy 127. Follow this road about 4.5 miles west directly towards the mountain. Old Mormon Spring is at the base of the mountain and this is a good place to stop if you have 2WD or a low clearance vehicle.

4WD and high clearance vehicles are mandatory beyond Old Mormon Spring. Bear left at Old Mormon Spring and follow the road that is in the bottom of a wash. This is a crooked, bumpy, rocky ride and is slow going. Follow this canyon for about 2.5 miles to the head of the canyon. 1.1 miles from Old Mormon Spring I had to use Lo Range 4WD and lock the rear differential to get up a spot that was slick bedrock with a thin layer of sand on top.

At the head of the canyon the road takes a sharp right and climbs up to a ridgeline where there is a solar powered communications station. Don’t drive up there! I did, but I wouldn’t do it again. About half way up to the ridge there are 2 washouts that have narrowed the road so that your right side tires have to bounce through the wash out. Coming down was a nightmare with Class 5.2 Toyota Tacoma moves to keep from rolling into the canyon.

Steve Larson wrote: "As 4x4 roads go, this one is nothing special. I drove a full-size Tundra to the radio tower. Even with a long wheelbase and wide vehicle I found the washouts pretty easy to get around. The road is a bit rocky in places, and there are some minor ruts, but I didn't need anything more than normal 4 wheel drive to get up. Low range gears were nice on the way down, as I didn't have to ride the brakes." I guess he is a better 4x4 driver than I am.

Find a place to park off the road at the head of the canyon.

Red Tape

No read tape here, just good clean open spaces. Follow this link for more info on the Mojave National Preserve


When To Climb

Winter is best because it is one of the hottest places on earth in the middle of summer.

The weather for Baker, California is here: Baker

Camping

Camping in the desert can be interesting. Don’t park or set up camp in a wash or drainage area even though you may be several miles from any thunderstorm activity. The washes go from dry, to tsunami, and back to dry in minutes.

Old Mormon Spring has ample room for several campsites and lots of parking.

There are some campgrounds in the Mojave National Preserve which is located mostly south of I-15. Mojave Camping

Otherwise, be self sufficient and pick a nice spot. Practice No Trace Camping whenever you are in the outdoors.

On the hike there are several places along the ridgelines to bivy for the night.


Mountain Conditions

Do not attempt this climb if thunderstorms are in the forecast.

During the rainy season, the washes may be treacherous so the approach drive may be impassable.

Acknowledgements

Dennis Poulin was the original creator of this page and has asked me to take care of it. Thanks for all your contributions to the peakbagging world Dennis!

I intend to make updates to the page in the near future. If you have any pressing information that needs mention, please let me know.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
mtbaxter

mtbaxter - Apr 5, 2010 2:05 am - Voted 10/10

Approach road update

Dennis Poulon's two grooves in the road are still there. I could have gotten my narrower jeep around them but parked at the head of the canyon as he suggested. There's a decent turn around point above the head of the canyon where the road bends left and where you first see the road erosions, should you opt to drive further. I suspect the road will probably worsen with time as a proposed new wilderness expansion area sign is passed just after you leave the paved highway.

Steve Larson

Steve Larson - Feb 12, 2011 9:18 am - Hasn't voted

Another opinion on the road

As 4x4 roads go, this one is nothing special. I drove a full-size Tundra to the radio tower. Even with a long wheelbase and wide vehicle I found the washouts pretty easy to get around. The road is a bit rocky in places, and there are some minor ruts, but I didn't need anything more than normal 4 wheel drive to get up. Low range gears were nice on the way down, as I didn't have to ride the brakes.

cab

cab - Jan 5, 2015 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Road Update

I believe the road has significantly degraded over the past year. A Ford F-150 in our group couldn't drive past Old Mormon Spring and had to do some work on a road washout just to get there. We also had a Suzuki Samurai with decent clearance (it has driven over Mengel Pass via Goler Wash for reference) that was stopped about a mile short of Old Mormon Spring. To drive past the spring at this point would pretty much require a rock crawler as the road has all but disappeared until about a 1/2 mile before the radio tower. There are several dry waterfalls with at least two foot vertical steps that are now visible. Lots and lots of boulders everywhere in the wash too.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jan 15, 2016 8:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Road Update

December 2015 UPDATE: I can confirm what Craig has stated. The north road is now in very bad shape as well. My Subaru Crosstrek made it nearly to the Sheep Spring parking area, but we had to drive very very slowly.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

California Desert PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
California Fifty FinestMountains & Rocks