Montón de Trigo

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.80060°N / 4.0709°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7066 ft / 2154 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Montón de Trigo is one of the most beautiful mountains in Sierra de Guadarrama because of its neat pyramidal form. In fact , it's name means "Wheat Heap" because of it shape.

When there are no clouds you have an spectacular and broad 360 degree view of Madrid and Segovia provinces and what is more important a very good view of relevant mountains of the Central System (including it's highest nice mountain Peñalara -2430m - see its detailed and excellent page) and another of the big classics "Cuerda Larga" (see photo)

To go up Montón de Trigo there are basically 2 classic routes with both a rather low degree of difficulty (only if ice/hard snow in the summit you may need crampons and ice axe):

1. Starting from Puerto de Navacerrada: A long and gorgeous hike combining Camino Schmidt & Monton de Trigo (both ways from / to Puerto de Navacerrada) takes around 6 to 7h with a distance of approx. 20 Km. The Camino Schmidt is another big classic of this Sierra connecting Puerto de Navacerrada and Puerto de la Fuenfria. The trail goes through a nice forest of old and healthy pines which gives shelter to most of the weather inclemencies. From Puerto de la Fuenfria you pass through Collado Minguete and then up to the summit.

2. Starting in Cercedilla: a nice "alpin" town, from Las Dehesas taking the old Roman Road "Calzada Romana" up to Puerto de la Fuenfria and then again through Collado Minguete, up to the summit. Its duration is as well around 5-6h.

There are other alternatives, but I strongly recommend alternative 1. Another great possibility is to combine both in a linear hike: Puerto Navacerrada - Camino Schmidt - Puerto de la Fuenfria Monton de Trigo - Cercedilla.

Getting There

From Madrid :

By car :
You take A6 highway and then M-607 passing Navacerrada village, M-601 to Puerto de Navacerrada (1.860 m). It takes you around 1h to complete the 60Km

By train:
From the central stations Atocha or Chamartin you go to Cercedilla and then the tramway to Puerto Navacerrada (line C-9)

Other possible access is from Segovia.

IMPORTANT: The access to Puerto de Navacerrada gets easily crowded due to its proximity to Madrid... therefore in ALL CASES it's recommended to get up early (6am-7am) !!

When To Climb

All seasons are good, being specially interesting in Winter and Spring. Winter because of the beauty with snow. Spring to avoid potential extreme hot weather and dryness...

If coming in winter and there is plenty of snow, make sure you bring your Ice Ax and Crampons. Not to worry much about avalanches though.

If coming in summer then make sure you bring sun protection, a cap/hat and a lot of water.

Red Tape

There is no need of any permit. All the area is free access.

Campign is forbidden. Nevertheless you have some huts and hotels in both Puerto de Navacerrada and Cercedilla.

Key Information

I recommend to check weather conditions some days before and in the same day of the climb.

You can do so:
Telephone: Spanish Meteorologic Service: +34 807 170 382

Web:


or here:




Any SOS and Rescue topics because of accidents you can phone :
Grupo Especial de Rescate en Altura (rescue team)-> 112
GREIM (rescue team Puerto de Navacerrada) -> 91 852 10 12

External Links


Mountain Clubs in Spain and Madrid:

Dreampeaks-Mountain Club with Guides

Federacion de Espana
Federacion de Madrid

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Scott

Scott - Feb 2, 2006 11:18 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Welcome to SP. Nice photo.

Hint: If you are still working on the page, write UNDER CONSTRUCTION right at the top of the page. This will let everyone else know not to vote until you are finished.

If you are finished, consider adding more details.

desainme

desainme - Feb 2, 2006 11:31 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Latitude: 40.8006
Longitude: -4.0709
Just a few miles Southwest of
Peñalara
Maintained by SP member
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Apr 30, 2009 6:54 am - Voted 10/10

AEMET weather forecast for Sierras de Guadarrama y Somosierra

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/montana?w=&p=mad2

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sierra de GuadarramaMountains & Rocks