Green Lowther

Green Lowther

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 55.38950°N / 3.738°W
Additional Information County: South Lanarkshire
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2402 ft / 732 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the highest summit within the range of hills known as the Lowther Hills.
The hill stands proud just to the south of the famous Scottish mine villages of Leadhills and Wanlockhead.
It is an easy hill to climb as there is an access road fully tarmacked to its summit.
The hill suffers a bit more than the higher summit of Broad Law in that this one has in total 8 different radio structures of all shapes and sizes on it when Broad Law has 4.

Getting There

Getting there is easy...!
From the Glasgow / Carlisle A74(M) Motorway leave at junction-14.
Heading in a south direction from junction-14 when on the A702 there is a B-Classified road. Take this the B7040 signposted Leadhills and Wanlockhead. Follow this road west bound and the hill of Green Lowther comes in view up the Elven Water valley.
When in the village of Wanlockhead there is many areas to park in.
At the base of the hill is a big gate that says private road access only with a multitude of padlocks on it.
this is the start of the route via the access track.

Red Tape

Although it says private road the access is not private on foot.
The hill has this access track for engineers to access the radio towers and the radar station that are on its summit.

When To Climb

Well the road can be used at any time in any weather. Being a proper road i guess you cannot really get lost on it as it has snow posts all its way up.
Other routes up may be more awkward as the hill is a bit like Broad Law and has many different dips and big rounded ridges to get lost around in fog or mist.

Camping

It is a very open area.
This website can cover many areas for Camping, Caravan and Bed and Breakfast.
http://www.placestostayin.co.uk
And just search these areas.
Wanlockhead, Leadhills and any other towns within the vacinity.

Mountain Conditions

Many websites cover these areas as they are intermediate summits between the Galloway forest and the Moffat hills.
So my pages on both Merrick (The Awful Hand) and Broad Law can both cover these areas.