Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.85050°N / 0.312°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9757 ft / 2974 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Palas & lakes of Arrèmoulit

The peak Pallas or Palas is a beautiful mountain with pyramidal aspect surrounded by pretty lakes and four long and powerful ridges. It's located in an area steep emphasizes of important form on its environment in spite of not reach the mythical height of 3000 meters as its neighboring Balaitous (3151m). By it said motive is something less visited but all the mountaineers that put their eyes in this mountain any time they got desire to reach their top. Due to that its easier route in summer is PD- this mountain only is destined to mountaineers with certain experience but in spite of all is one of the most visited mountains of the valley of Tena. By once not only the height is the reference but as occurs with other great mountains like Midi d'Ossau or Collarada, is the beauty of its faces and edges what does it very attractive.
It is a mountain that generally does not defraud to all who dares with it.

First climb: the official geodesiens Peytier and Hossard on July of 1825 when they prettended to conquer the Balaitous. The ridge N-NE is called Geodesiens for this reason.

Getting There

Trailhead: embalse de la Sarra (La Sarra's dam)
Nearest village: Sallent de Gallego.

Approach to Sallent de Gallego:
-From North and West of Spain, N-240 to Jaca, N-260 and A-136 to Biescas, turn to right 5 km to Sallent.
-From South (Huesca, Zaragoza, Madrid…), N-330A to reach N-260.
-From East (Barcelona, Lleida..), N-240 to Barbastro and Huesca to reach N-330A and N-260.
From Sallent to La Sarra take the bad road for 6 km to the dam.

From the approach to trailheads of french side see the routes of "R.Larribet-P.Lavedan" and "Geodesics ridge"

Red Tape

No permits required. Not allowed the free camping.
Note: the route is never a walk-up in this peak.
Pallas

Routes of the Four Ridges

-Ridge S-SW (Normal, Chimney Ledormeur): PD-. Trailheads: La Sarra, Respomuso, Soques-Arrémoulit, Larribet.
-Ridge N-NE (Geodesics): PD. Trailheads: Soques-Arrémoulit.
-Ridge SW (Piton von Martin from col of Pallas): D-. Trailheads: Soques-Arrémoulit, La Sarra, Respomuso.
-Ridge SE (from Port du Lavedan): AD. Trailheads: Larribet, La Sarra, Respomuso.

When to climb

Pallas

Generally the summer is the best option (july-september). In winter is a very exposed climb. Early in the season (may-june) is very changeable each year but generally is possible many days with techical material (crampons and ice-axe), but it's advisable don't climb in cold days (ice on the ridge).
The ridge of rock is not advisable with snow or rain (the wet rock is dangerous)

Camping

Not camping allowed except at two hours of some refuge; you must to dismount the tent in the morning.
Spain:-Refugio de Respumoso (FAM, 98 places, april-december, tel: 974 490203)
France:-Refugio Arremoulit (CAF de Pau, Tel : 05 59053179)
-Refuge de Larribet (60 places, north of Puerto de Lavedan, Tel: 05 62 972539)
Free hut in french side:
-Refuge de Ledormeur (10 places, north-east, walk form Plan d'Aste of 1h45min)

Weather conditions

El tiempo en Sallent de Gallego - Predicción a 7 días y condiciones actuales.
See in I.N.M. the north province of Huesca

External Links

Valle de Tena: some images of valley of Tena.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.