Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.11401°N / 73.41854°W
Additional Information County: Berkshire
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2607 ft / 795 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hidden in the southwest corner of Massachusetts lies Mount Everett. Mount Everett is nestled within the borders of Mount Washington State Forest, a 4000+ acre New England hardwood forest with multiple peaks, falls, and Mount Everett State Reservation.

Part of the Taconic Plateau, the area provides access to multiple 2000+ foot summits including Mt Frissel(south) and Alander Mountain(west), and the largest waterfalls in Mass-Bash Bish Falls.

The tallest of the South Taconic Mountains (and the second tallest peak in the state) Everett rewards those who climb to its summit with views into New York, Connecticut and across Massachusetts. Everett also provides a look at an old-growth forest that is so rare it is found in only 50 acres of New England (less than 1/1000th of a percent of all Massachusetts) and the opportunity to picnic at Massachusetts' highest natural body of water, Guilder Pond

summit view

Two trails lead to the Appalachian Trail, which is the only way to access Everett's Summit. Comprised of bluish-green Everett Schist, and an old-growth dwarf pitch pine forest, where pines grow no more than 6 feet tall but live between 200-300 years, Mount Everett provides access to extremely rare flora.

Getting There

There are two access points to Mount Everett's trails. To locate the Race Brook Trail:

From East or West/Mass Pike (I-90): Take Exit 2 in Lee. Follow MA Rte. 102 west for 4.7 miles to Stockbridge. Turn left and follow US Rte. 7 south for 7.7 miles through Great Barrington. Turn right and follow MA Rte. 23 west for 4.9 miles to South Egremont. Turn left onto MA Rte. 41 south.

From the North or South/Rte 7: On US Rte. 7 in Great Barrington, turn onto MA Rte. 23 west for 4.9 miles to South Egremont. Turn left onto MA Rte. 41 south, then take immediate right, Mount Washington Road; continue for 7.4 miles (becomes East St.) to Mount Everett Road on left and access to parking.

Race Brook Trail Head: access is on MA Rte. 41, 5.5 miles south of South Egremont, MA; or 7.3 miles north of Salisbury, CT.

For access to the Elbow Trail follow the above directions to MA Rte. 41 south and travel 3.2 miles, turning right into the entrance for the Berkshire School. Follow the entrance road past the athletic fields and turn right. Drive towards the large concrete building. Merge left between the concrete building and a painted brick building. Go slightly uphill and to the right. The paved road gives way to a gravel service road to a small parking area on the right.

Red Tape

The park is open sunrise to sunset year-round.

Access is free.

Parking is permitted in designated areas only. Overnight parking is restricted.

Be prepared: No services are available.

Carry-in, carry-out all your belongings and trash.

Pets are permitted. Must be on a 10-foot maximum leash and attended at all times. Must have proof of current Rabies vaccine. Please be courteous and clean up after your pet.

Prohibited: Motorized off-road vehicles and alcoholic beverages.

Call (413) 528-0330 for more information.

Camping

There are multiple areas for camping on the mountain, including:

Two designated campgrounds off of Race Brook Trail,
Three non-designated camp areas off Elbow Trail, and
the Glen Brook and Hemlock shelters off the Appalachian Trail.

The mountain is home to Black Bear so be sure to properly stow food.

Reserve your Campsite

To make a reservation for any one of our 28 state forests and park campgrounds:

call toll-free 1-877-I-CAMP-MA or 1-877-422-6762,
from outside the U.S. and Canada, call 518-884-4959 (long-distance charges apply),
TTY customers call 1-877-620-0833,
place your reservation online through ReserveAmerica.com.
The call center is open Monday through Sunday 8 am to 8 pm between April and Labor Day. Between September and March, the call center is open Mon through Friday 9 am to 7 pm and 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Credit card payments are accepted. With personal check or money order transactions, full payment is required within ten (10) days of making the reservation. There is a reservation charge of $9.50 per reservation for this service. For more information on the $9.50 reservation transaction charge click here.

Reservations may be made as early as six months prior to the date of your arrival and as late as two days before your arrival. You can also make camping reservations for several dates at one time. However, reservations will be limited to 14 cumulative days in any one park between Memorial Day and Labor Day. There is a 2 day minimum on most reservations.

Weather Conditions

Weather for Great Barrington, MA





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.