Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07974°N / 114.96007°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9733 ft / 2967 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Anyone who has ridden the boat across Redfish Lake to the Inlet Transfer Camp has ogled over the Chockstone route of the Grand Mogul. Looming over the south end of Redfish Lake, the Grand Mogul is the most prominent peak in the vicinity. The Chockstone Couloir route is the obvious snow couloir which seems to split the mountain in half.

Getting There

From Boise: Take Hwy 55, North to Horseshoe bend and continue North to Banks. Turn right at Banks and follow the South Fork of the Payette river to Lowman. Turn left at Lowman on Hwy 21 and continue on to Stanley. (130 miles from Boise/3 hours drive time) Drive through Stanley and turn right on Hwy 75 toward Redfish Lake and Sun Valley/Ketchum, continue for 5 miles and take a right turn to Redfish Lodge/campgrounds. Park in the overnight hikers/campers lot (about 1/4 mile North of Lodge) and hike to lake/boat ramp. From Twin Falls/Sun Valley: Leave I 84 at Twin Falls and drive North on Hwy 93 to Shoshone and continue North on Hwy 75 to Ketchum/Sun Valley. Keep driving North past Sun Valley, over Galena Summit towards Stanley. Turn left at Redfish Lodge/campground and continue on to overnight hikers/campers parking lot.

Red Tape

As of 2005, no trailhead fee was required, but you do need a (free) self-issued wilderness permit. From Redfish Lodge you can either hike to the far end of the lake (6 miles one-way)to access the Grand Mogul, or ride the boat shuttle (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). In 2005 the shuttle was $6 each way and the trip takes about 15-20 minutes. The shuttle operates Memorial Day to Labor Day, 7am until 6-7pm, with scheduled trips every 1-2 hours, or on demand with 2 or more passengers. The shuttle will also help you schedule a return trip if you know your approximate time at the far end of the lake, otherwise just catch a scheduled trip or if you miss the shuttle in the evening, you will have to hike out on very good trails.

Camping

Camping in the Redfish Lake area is OUTSTANDING!! Facilities range from rooms in the Lodge, to cabins, to fully wired RV pads and tent sites. The camping during the summer months is very popular and getting reservations is highly recommended for any weekend Memorial Day to Labor Day--or you will probably not get a camping site. There is a small (very expensive) convenience store at the lodge or a grocery store in Stanley for last minute items. The lodge also has outdoor food kiosks and a 4-star restaurant inside the lodge itself--this may border the wilderness, but it is NOT wilderness at the lodge!!

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks