Mali Golak (Trnovski gozd)

Mali Golak (Trnovski gozd)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.97850°N / 13.86406°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 4905 ft / 1495 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Trnovski gozd

Golaki extends over of the highest area of »Trnovski gozd« (Trnovo wood) with one of the largest glacial-karst depression.
This area contains Upper Triassic carbonate stone formations. There are numerous remains of fossil shells, brachiopods and foraminifers in the limestone’s.
The mountain peaks of the Golaki range (Veliki – 1480m, Srednji – 1479m, Mali – 1495m a.s.l.) are the highest in the Western High Karst and they rise above timberline what is rarity in the Slovenic Dinaric Mountains.
During Pleistocene Epoch the Golaki were covered with a thick ice layer.
They are overgrown with dwarf pine (Pinetum mugo) and on the smaller areas with stony grass surfaces and Alpine flora.
The high mountainous and subalpine beech woods on the northern slope of the Golaki reveal in certain areas an entirely virgin forest structure. Numerous animals, among others the endangered ones like capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus), inhabit these woods.
The natural reserve is protected by the Decree on proclaiming cultural and historic heritage and natural phenomena in the area of the Municipality of Ajdovscina (the official Gazette no. 4/87).
The major area is protected as a wood reserve (1981).
Visitors are asked not to leave marked paths.

Getting There

Map of Trnovski gozd

»Trnovski gozd« is a large area in south-west Part of Slovenia. On south is Vipava valley with river »Vipava«, on west Soca valley with river »Soca« (spell: »Sotcha«), on Trebusa valley with river Trebuscica, on east the plateau is connected to the ridge of Javornik.
So the most convenient way to »Trnovski gozd« is from city Ajdovscina in Vipava valley. To Ajdovscina we come throw the highway from Gorica (Gorizia on italian side of border) – about 30km, or from main road from Ljubljana - about 90km.
From Ajdovscina the road goes very quick to the plateau (direction: Predmeja) and we rich this small village Predmeja in about 15km. Predmeja is on east-south part of Trnovski gozd.

Red Tape

Is no limitation

Camping

Iztok hut

1. »Iztokova koca« - Iztok hut – only provisional beds – nut regularly opened
2. »Zavetišče Antona Bavcerja na Cavnu« - Mountain shelter Anton Bavcer on Caven – open from may to October, 10 beds
3. Hotels Winkler, Lokve 36A, 5252 LOKVE, tel.: +386 5 307 40 37, e-mail: winkler.hotel@volja.net
4. Hotel Pigal, Goriska cesta 25, 5270 AJDOVSCINA, tel.: +386 5 364 47 00

External Links

Routes Overview

Srednji and Veliki Golak

From Predmeja
From parking 2km west of Predmeja
From road, on marked way from Caven
From saddle near Nagnovec
From Ledenica
From Hudo polje (direction Vojsko, Idrija)

Info: path from Hudo Polje to Caven is also a part of Slovenian mounting tour; it is marked with number 1 beside the mark.

Miscellaneous Info

In the..

On road from Vojsko to Lokve is an interesting cave wit name »Ledenica« - Ice cave. It isn't hundred years ago, that they transport ice from this cave to fish markets and for other needs to Trieste, Gorizia and Venezia. On cave brink You can see also a flora inversion – on the bottom of cave You can see vegetation that is usually for higher altitude.
Area of “Trnovski gozd” is good known also from time of second world war. This area was out of main roads, so this region was a good hiding place, and You can find some monuments that remember on this time, also some tombs and also a rest of partisan hospital.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Trnovski gozd and VojskoMountains & Rocks