Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.01830°N / 110.277°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11209 ft / 3417 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Crazy Peak from Blue Lake
Crazy Peak from Blue Lake


 

Crazy Peak
Crazy Peak from the north - Early Spring

Overview

Crazy Peak
Crazy Peak's double summit from the SW
Crazy & Big Timber Peaks
 Crazy Peak from the NW

Crazy Peak is the highest point in this mad clash of windswept ridges and rocky canyons known as the Crazy Mountains. It is said that Chief Plenty Coups, the last great leader of the mighty Crow tribe, had a vision on the summit that led him throughout his life. This area now is the most visited region in the range. Hiking, backpacking, fishing, kayaking, climbing and skiing are all accessible from the Big Timber Creek/Half Moon trailhead. Winter access can be difficult, so most activity is concentrated in spring (as soon as the snow melts) through fall.

 

Getting There

Approach to Big Timber Creek
Approach from the E

The Big Timber Creek Trailhead is the place you are looking for. Head east on I-90 from Livingston or Bozeman (or west from Billings). Exit I-90 at either Big Timber exits and turn north onto Highway 191. Follow this windy road for about 12 miles past some great views of Crazy and Big Timber peaks. The turn is marked with a brown USFS access sign and is called the Wormser Loop road. Follow the dirt road for several miles through rolling hills, through a small ranch (leave the gate as you find it) to the Half Moon Campground. If you are headed for the base of the Crazy Couloir, you must set off cross country from here into the basin between Crazy Peak and Big Timber Peak. Otherwise, follow the trail to Blue Lake (about 3 miles) for the West Ridge.

Red Tape/Conditions

Crazy Peak
 Crazy Peak from the W


This portion of the Gallatin National Forest falls under the jurisdiction of the Big Timber District Ranger Station located on the Big Timber Loop Road (the road between the two interstate exits).
Website
Gallatin National Forest
Phone:
(406) 932-5155
Hours:
Monday thru Friday
Summer: June.-Aug. 8:00am - 5:00pm
Winter: Sept.-May 8:00am - 4:30pm

Camping

Be aware that much of the land surrounding the Crazy Mountains is private. Please respect the people who live here and camp only in designated campgrounds as you approach the mountains. Once in the Gallatin National Forest, the standard rules apply: Camp 200 feet from trails and water sources, pack out all trash and use established sites around lakes and other high use areas. Fires are not allowed within 1/4 mile of either Blue or Granite Lakes.

If you plan to camp at Blue Lake, you should know that in spite of the fire ban there are MANY fire sites in the area of the tent sites and the axe wielding fire builders have pretty much trashed the area.  In other words, don't plan on a pristine campsite and if you are there on a weekend don't be surprised if you have some noisy neighbors.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.