Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.88100°N / 107.486°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10119 ft / 3084 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Withington is a high peak located in the San Mateo Mountains. Although it isn’t the highest peak in the range, it is probably the most well-known. A good road leads to the summit of Mount Withington, where a fire lookout is located. From the top, there are good views of the whole area. Mount Withington is located in the Cibola National Forest and the Withington Wilderness Area. The Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescope observatory is located in the Plains of San Agustin just below Mount Withington. With a prominence of 2,315’, Mount Withington is just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From the small town of Magdalena, drive west on US Highway 60 for about 12 miles to the marked turnoff for Forest Road 549.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Magdalena Ranger District at 505-854-2281 for the latest conditions.

Forest Map: Cibola National Forest (Magdalena Ranger District)
Topo Map: Mount Withington

Camping

The Bear Trap Campground in located one mile from Monica Saddle on Forest Road 28.

External Links

Cibola National Forest

Withington Wilderness

New Mexico Prominence Map

Very Large Array


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.