Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.98900°N / 108.96°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7620 ft / 2323 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Brushy Mountain is the highest point in the Summit Mountains. This small mountain range is located in southwest New Mexico near the Arizona border. Located in the Gila National Forest, this Brushy Mountain is one of nine different Brushy Mountains in New Mexico. Brushy Mountain is probably best known for the large white radar dome on its summit. A good road leads to the top of Brushy Mountain. With an elevation of 7,620’, Brushy Mountain ranks way down on the New Mexico elevation list. But the new field of Prominence has made Brushy Mountain a more important mountain. With a prominence of 2,280’, it’s just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From the small town of Mule Creek on NM Highway 78, start driving south on the main dirt road out of town. The road is signed as Brushy Mountain Road CMR, and is next to the Post Office. This road is also known as Forest Road 112. Drive about 13 miles south to the intersection with Radar Station Road, also known as Forest Road 543. This is a good place to start walking if you want to climb to the top. Otherwise, you can drive all the way to the top.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Glenwood Ranger District at 505-539-2481 for the latest conditions.


Forest Map: Gila National Forest.
Topo Map: Crookston Peak.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds near Brushy Mountain. The nearest campground is in Glenwood.

External Links

Gila National Forest

New Mexico Prominence Map


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.