Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.27855°N / 73.21547°W
Additional Information County: Chittenden
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 968 ft / 295 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Philo is a pretty little mountain in Charlotte, Vermont (near Burlington) with great views from its western facing cliffs over the Lake Champlain Valley and the Adirondack Range across the lake in New York. The mountain is the first one climbed by many Vermont kids as they begin their hiking careers. Most of the mountain is part of Mt. Philo State Park, Vermont's first state park (founded in 1924). There is one main trail to the top and a road to the summit as well.
Mount Philo

Getting There

Map of Mt. Philo State Park
Drive 3 miles south on Route 7 from the Ferry Road in Charlotte, Vermont. Turn left on State Park Rd. and go about 1/2 mile to the intersection with Mt. Philo Road. There is a parking lot there or you can drive up a paved, though steep, road to the top.

From the south proceed north on Route 7 for 7.5 miles from the junction with Route 22A in Vergennes. Turn right on State Park Road and follow the direction from above.

The trail to the summit is approximately 1 mile long and climbs roughly 500 feet. There is a nice, open grassy area at the top with a few picnic tables. There are two nice overlooks with expansive views across Lake Champlain to the Adirondacks.

An alternative to hiking back down the trail is walk down the Park Road. This adds about .25 miles to the hike and offers better footing and a different perspective on the mountain. In winter the road is perfect for sledding. Simply hike up as far as you feel like going, turn around and let 'er rip. From the summit you have a sustained 1.25 mile course with only one very short strectch (maybe 50 yards) where it flattens out enough that you will need to walk. Try it.

Red Tape

Open from May 26 to October 15

Entry fees:
$2.50 per adult
$2.00 for kids ages 4-13
FREE for kids under 4

Contact Info:



Mt. Philo State Park
5425 Mt Philo Rd
Charlotte, Vermont 05445

Park Phone: 802-425-2390

Camping

There are 3 Lean-tos and 8 tentsites in the relatively small State Park campground located on the northern flank of Mt. Philo. Call park for reservation information.

External Links

Mt. Philo State Park

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Green Mountains (Vermont)Mountains & Rocks