Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.69317°N / 74.20968°W
Additional Information County: Warren / Hamilton
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2708 ft / 825 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Chimney Mt. is a small mountain even by Adirondack standards, only rising 2,700 ft. above sea level. That being said, it is a very popular mountain in the central Adirondacks. There are three factors that contribute to Chimney's popularity. The first factor is that the summit offers 360 degree views, a rarity for the central Adirondacks and even more rare at a such low elevation. The second factor is that the trail to the summit is a steep class I trail that is just over a mile long, making the mountain accessible to many hikers of all ages. The third factor is a geologic oddity. Just below and before the summit there is a chimney formation. Along with the chimney there is a system of caves and rock crevasses. The chimney and other rock formations provide many opportunities for climbing scrambling and caving.

The view from the chimney area is pretty good but the true summit offers sweeping views of the central Adirondacks and beyond. It is reached by a heard path the starts just below the chimney. Chimney Mt. is located in the Central region of the Adirondacks. It's summit lies on the border of Hamilton and Warren counties but the chimney is in Hamilton county. The cloeset towns are Sabael and Indian Lake.

Maps and Guide Books


Guide Books: ADK Guide to Central Adirondack Trails
Maps: The map that comes with the book.

Getting There

From I-90:
Take exit 27 and take NY-30 towards Amsterdam. Continue on NY 30 through Amsterdam and continue north. You will be on NY-30 for over 40 miles. It will take you through the towns of Mayfield, Hope, Wells, Lake Pleasant, Speculator, and Sabael. Once through the town of Sabael, start looking for signs for a scenic overlook. Turn right about 1/4 mile after you pass the overlook on to Big Brook Road. At 1.2 miles after NY-30 you will pass over Lake Abanakee. 2.1 miles past Lake Abanakee bear right at a fork in the road. Then there is crossroads with Hutchins and Moulton turn right. Finally at 7.8 miles after leaving Rt. 30 you will arrive at Chimney Mt. Cabins, a private set of cabins. Parking is at a small parking lot past the flagpole. See red tape for more info.

Red Tape

NYSDEC Rules and Regs
The biggest rule is respect the land at the trailhead. It is ALL private land. The land owners charge a $2.00 dollar to park per car per day. Please follow their rules so that access to this mountain continue for years.

Camping

DEC Camping Rules

There is a official camping site just below the chimney.
LAT:43.69291
LONG:74.21374
ELEV:2,700 ft.

When to Climb and Current Conditions


Chimney can be climbed in any season and is a good snowshoe hike in winter. Black flies can be bad in the spring

Under Construction

I will be working on this page throught the day and night.
Info pics and route to follow.
RobA 5/31



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.