Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.61010°N / 105.5436°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12115 ft / 3693 m
Sign the Climber's Log

New Mexico

Overview

Lobo Peak, New Mexico’s 33rd highest peak, (See List) is a scenic mountain located in the Columbine-Hondo Wilderness Study Area of the Sangre de Cristo Range. The views from this peak are spectacular in all directions and are worth the climb. In particular, this peak provides a unique view of Wheeler Peak and it's surrounding mountains from across the valley. Lobo Peak is a very desirable hike if you want to camp overnight as you will find vast open tundra, providing ample campsites on or near the summit.


Lobo Peak
 
Lobo Peak
 

Getting There

From Taos New Mexico, travel north on Route 522 for about 4 miles. Turn right, heading east, on NM 150 toward the Taos Ski Valley. Follow this road for about 11 miles watching for the Taos East Condominiums. The parking area for the Manzanita Canyon trail head is immediately after the condos on your left.
Wheeler goup from summit
 
Wheeler Group from Lobo Peak
 

Red Tape

Lobo Peak is located in the Columbine-Hondo Wilderness Study Area, so restrictions of the study area apply. There is a message board at the trail head with details of these restrictions.

Camping

 
Near Summit
 
Camping is allowed in the wilderness study area and can be very desirable on Lobo Peak due to the ample open tundra on and near the summit.
There are also several campgrounds on NM 150.

External Links

There is ample lodging in Taos Ski Valley and also in the city of Taos.
Here are some useful links:

Outdoor Recreation
Taos Chamber of Commerce
Carson National Forest
Taos Vacation Rentals

Weather

This is a link to the weather for the Taos Ski Valley and should be an accurate forecast for Lobo Peak.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.