Midžor

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.39500°N / 22.68250°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 7119 ft / 2170 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Midžor (2170 m) is the highest peak of Serbian part of Stara Planina and second highest peak of Serbia and Montenegro, behind Djeravica (2656 m) peak in Serbian part of Prokletije massif.

Midžor peak is placed in the center of Serbian Stara Planina, between Tri Cuke (1936 m) on SE side and Babin Zub (1758 m) on SW side. The massif of Midžor peak is very large. It's western, eastern and southern slopes are grassy and not so steep, while it's northern side is rocky and very steep. This side is also most attractive and very popular among rock climbers.

MidzorMidžor (2170 m)

Stara Planina and Midžor as it's highest peak are the natural border between Serbia and Bulgaria. On the summit of Midžor you can find border stone between those two countries.

The massif of Midžor is very rich with water springs and mountain streems and rivers. Topodolska Reka river is one of them. On the southern side of Midžor, going from Topli Do village, you can enjoy in two beautifully mountain streems. One is placed on the SW slopes, while the other one is located on eastern SE slopes of Midžor. That's really nice refreshment during long ascent from Topli Do village.

SUMMIT VIEW:

E: Mt Vitosa (2290)
SE: Tri Cuke (1936 m)
S: Suva Planina (Trem - 1810 m)
W: Kopaonik (Pancicev Vrh - 2017 m),
SW: Zarkova Cuka (1848 m), Babin Zub (1758 m), Svrljiske Planine

Midzor NW summit viewNW summit view
Midzor S summit viewS summit view
Midzor W summit viewW summit view
Midzor S summit viewN summit view

Routes Overview

Ascent on MidzorMidzor ascent
Descent from MidzorMidzor descent

People mostly use two routes to climb Midžor (2170 m) peak:

1. Babin Zub Hotel - Midžor (2170 m): 2,30h - 3h
2. Topli Do village - Midžor (2170 m): 4h - 4,30h

First one starting from SW side of Midžor massif and that's usual approach to the summit. Second option starting from Midžor's S side and that's the longer solution, even still very nice. Topli Do village is very picturesque and remind me on 'Asteriks' village.

Getting There

Topli Do villageTopli Do village

Beograd (Belgrade) - Pirot - Stara Planina (Babin Zub Hotel)
Beograd (Belgrade) - Pirot - Stara Planina (Topli Do village)
Beograd (Belgrade) - Knjaževac - Stara Planina

Stara Planina is placed in eastern part of Serbia, near border with Bulgaria, 55 km far from Pirot and Knjaževac towns.

Camping

Midzor summitMidzor summit

You can stay in three star Hotel Babin Zub, which is nestled right below the same name mountain summit (1758 m). The hotel was built in 2000 and it is very well maintained. All rooms are nice and cozy. This three star hotel is situated below Babin Zub mountain peak on elevation of 1500 m above sea level.

This is common place when people planining to climb Midžor (2170 m) peak.

Red Tape

No fees or extra fees for entering the Stara Planina.
No permits needed either.
Usual rules of behaviour for NP's do apply.

Mountain Conditions

On the way to MidzorMidzor ascent

5 days weather meteo for Pirot town.

The area has a typical sub - Alpine climate with a considerable number of sunny days, heavy snowfall... On Stara Planina you can find snow about 120 days per year.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Aug 17, 2016 10:01 am - Hasn't voted

Wrong link

The weather meteo link is not valid any more...

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Stara PlaninaMountains & Rocks