Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35920°N / 117.7806°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8997 ft / 2742 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Burnham Google earth ImageGoogle Earth Image of Mount Burnham

This is a smaller peak in between Mount Baden Powell and Throop Peak. According to the Sierra Club this peak was renamed in 1951 in honor of Major Frederick Russell Burnham, (1861-1947), explorer, author of Scouting on Two Continents and active in the advancement of the Boy Scout movement in the U.S. He also led the dedication of Mount Baden Powell in May 1931. The original peak name was (West Twin) "North Baldy Mountain". The peak was added to the HPS Peak List in 1956 (Taken from the HPS Website). This is a great diversion from the usually very crowded area of Baden Powell, and an easy peak to bag if you are hiking along this portion of the PCT. The hike takes you along the top of a ridge which affords stunning views of the north and south portions of the San Gabriel range, as well as up close views of beatiful Limber Pine forests.

Getting There

Use Google Maps to get directions to Vincent Gap (past Wrightwood): Click Here

Use Google Maps to get directions to Islip Saddle (from La Canada): Click Here

From the south (San Gabriel Valley) 50 miles on highway 2 (Angeles Crest Highway) from the 210 in La Canada to Islip Saddle. Or, take the 15 North to the 138 then to the 2 past Wrightwood for the Vincent Gap Trailhead.

From the north (Antelope Valley) take highway 138 east. Then turn right onto LARGO VISTA RD / CR-N4. Continue to follow CR-N4, take a sharp right onto highway 2 (Angeles Crest Highway). Continue for 5 miles until you hit the parking area on your left (Vincent Gap).

Routes

You can hike to Mount Burnham using several routes, as shown on the Topo Map below. These routes work well as a loop, ascend using one route and descend another. You could even set up a car shuttle between Islip Saddle and Vincent Gap (hard with the highway closure).

From Vincent Gap:
Shown in Red on the map. Park at Vincent Gap and hike up to Mount Baden-Powell. Then traverse the ridge (or follow the PCT) to Mount Burnham. Total 5.25 miles and 3500 ft elevation gain One Way.

Trail from Lodgepole Picnic AreaTrail to Mount Burnham from ACH

From Dawson Saddle:
Shown in Green on the map. Park at either Vincent Gap or Islip Saddle. Since the Angeles Crest Highway (ACH) is closed between Vincent Gap and Islip Saddle, you will need to either hike along the ACH to dawson saddle or ride a bike. Once at Dawson saddle, hike up the ridge following the nice trail from Dawson Saddle to Throop Peak. From Throop peak either follow the ridge or the PCT to Mount Burnham. Total from Dawson Saddle 3.25 miles and 3800 ft elevation gain One Way.

From Lodgepole Picnic Area:
Shown in Blue on the Map. The picnic area is no longer there, but you will see the ridge leading to Mount Burnham from the ACH. Total 1 mile and 1000 ft elevation gain from the ACH (One Way) plus approx 4 miles and 1000ft elevation gain to walk up the ACH from Vincent Gap. This is the easiest route to the summit. Photo of trailhead from the ACH shown to the side.

From Islip Saddle:
You can follow the PCT all the way from Islip Saddle to Mount Burnham. This is the longest route. Best done as a car shuttle.

Mount Burnham Topo MapMount Burnham topo Map


Red Tape

A "Forest Adventure Pass" is required for parked cars in the Angeles National Forest. USUALLY the ticket for not having one costs the same amount as the day pass itself. They are available from local sporting goods stores for $30(year) or $5(day).

Camping

Mount Burnham from the EastMount Burnham viewed from the East.
Ridge from Baden-Powell to Mount BurnhamRidge to the east of Mount Burnham

There is a beautiful camp spot on the forested north side of this peak. It is just below the PCT as it passes below the north face of Burnham. There is no water available here however. There is also camping along the PCT at Little Jimmy Trail Camp near Islip Saddle.

There are many campsites in the area operated by Angeles National Forest.

Weather

Check out a live view of Baden Powell from the Mountain High web cam, or the 10 day forecast.

GPS Data

GPS Track of hike from Vincent Gap to Dawson Saddle in GPX Format.

GPS Track of hike from Vincent Gap to Dawson Saddle in Google Eath KMZ Format.

Trip Report of hike from Vincent Gap to Dawson Saddle

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.