Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.37920°N / 105.58439°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10013 ft / 3052 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking south from the summit of Deer MountainLooking south from the summit of Deer Mountain toward Taylor Peak.
01 Mar 2009

Deer Mountain is far from being the loftiest in Rocky Mountain National Park. But like many lower peaks, the payoff to those who summit is fantastic views in all directions. From the summit, hikers can look down upon the gateway town of Estes Park. Views of the surrounding high country are breathtaking and those on the summit can enjoy identifying surrounding peaks and alpine parks.

The mountaintop is characterized by a broad, flat summit plateau studded by several outcrops. The highest of these outcrops is on the southern end of the summit plateau and provides great place to enjoy lunch with a nice view of Estes Park and Lake Estes to the east, as well as the high peaks to the south and southwest.

Relatively low elevation make Deer Mountain a great acclimatization hike for visitors and its proximity to Estes Park and short distance between parking and the summit make this and ideal outing for winter or for those pressed for time.

Special thanks is due to SP member joegrim, the original owner of this mountain page that laid the foundation for what you see here.

Getting There

Deer Mountain Area Map_LocalLocal Area Map
Click image to enlarge
Deer Mountain Area Map_GeneralGeneral Area Map
Click image to enlarge



Deer Mountain sits 10 miles east of the Continental Divide in the far eastern portion of Rocky Mountain National Park. The summit lies just four miles west of Lake Estes. The nearest major airport is Denver International Airport.

There are multiple routes to the summit of Deer Mountain, and hence several options to use as starting points. Most visitors, however, will want to use the Beaver Meadows entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park to access Deer Mountain.



  • If arriving from Denver and points east: Take U.S. routes 34 or 36 through Estes Park, Colorado.

  • If arriving from points west or south: Take I-70 to U.S. Rt. 40., then to U.S. Rt.34 through Grand Lake, Colorado.


Red Tape

A pass is required for entry into Rocky Mountain National Park. Click here for the latest park entrance fees. For those without an annual pass, the current fees are as follows:

Automobile: $20 per vehicle, valid for 7 days from the date of purchase.
Pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles and mopeds: $10 per person, valid for 7 days from the date of purchase.

It is important to follow all rules and regulations set by the National Park Service. As this is a National Park, pets are not allowed on hiking trails.

Finally, camping is permitted in designated campsites only. This includes front-country and backcountry camping. Pay close attention to the special rules for backcountry camping in the National Park.




Click on images to enlarge.

Camping & Lodging

Longs Peak from Deer Mountain SummitLongs Peak from Deer Mountain Summit
01 Mar 2009
Northwest from Deer Mountain SummitNorthwest from Deer Mountain Summit
01 Mar 2009




An almost unlimited variety of camping and lodging options exist in and near Rocky Mountain National Park. With options ranging from climbers bivouacs to National Park car camping within the park and mom & pop campgrounds and motor lodges on up to luxurious multi-family cabins and high-end historic hotels, a visitor can find camping or lodging options to suit almost any need here.
Hairy Woodpecker Feeding ChickHairy Woodpecker Feeding Chick
Photo by Arthur Digbee






CAMPING WITHIN THE PARK



CAR CAMPING
The National Park Service operates six car camping sites within the National Park: Five general use sites and one group camping site.

BACKCOUNTRY CAMPING
Backcountry camping in Rocky Mountain National Park falls in to several categories each with its own complex set of rules and regulation:
• Designated Sites
• Crosscountry Areas
• Stock Sites
• Bivouac Areas
• Winter Areas

Here are some very helpful campsite resource websites by the National Park Service:


LODGING NEAR THE PARK


Deer Mountain summitDeer Mountain summit
Southeast view from summitSoutheast view from summit

ESTES PARK
Estes Park is the eastern, and primary, gateway community serving Rocky Mountain National Park.

Visit the Estes Park Chamber of Commerce Website for detailed information about lodging in this community.

GRAND LAKE
The community of Grand Lake serves as a gateway community to the western side of Rocky Mountain National Park.

Visit The Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce Website for information about hotels, cabins and mom & pop campsites in the area.


Weather & Seasons

Benchmark on Deer MountainBenchmark on Deer Mountain
Photo by Arthur Digbee
Grouse on Deer MountainGrouse on Deer Mountain
Photo by Arthur Digbee

Deer Mountain is accessible year round except during the most severe winter weather. Large Winter and Spring snowfalls may bring deep snow requiring flotation (showshoes or skis) but heavy traffic on the trails leading to the summit likely mean a packed footpath unless snow has recently fallen.

Zone Forecast for Estes Park, CO

External Links

Sunrise on Deer MountainTaking in the sunrise from Deer Mountain
By Mountain Jim


Deer Mountain Trail Slideshow

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.